RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys this is my first post on this forum,seems full of good info,I recently bought my other half a 1996 4.6hse lovely motor all the toys but not really my thing,I run an offroad prepared cherokee :oops: but all the same she likes it and wouldnt change it.But it has a couple of annoying things..1. its running lumpy on tickover,not like a really bad misfire (all plug leads have been changed and stepper motor has been cleaned)its just like a uneven tickover that you can feel through the steering wheel,really annoying.2. when starting from cold the ABS pump runs for a couple of mins and abs light,traction control light and handbrake light are all lit up until pump stops running and then all is fine,is this normal? as I say im not really a landy person,I love my jeep :oops: cheers people :D

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
On start up the ABS pump will tend to run for about 10 seconds. The warning lights won't completely go 'till you reach 5mph.

As for the lumpy tickover, I suggest digging deeper and remove the plugs. Just note the type used and replace using the correct type with the correct gap with the correct torque. Also check the condition and colouring of the ones removed. Lumpy isn't something you have with this sort of engine unless there is an underlying issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok ill try that,cheers,should they be champion plugs?or does it matter what brand they are

·
Registered
442 Posts
pike said:
ok ill try that,cheers,should they be champion plugs?or does it matter what brand they are
Some will say yes but most i know use NGK or Denso standard plugs,just look up the locator part No on there sites will give you the correct heat range,

If duel fuel you may want to go down in temp range

http://www.ngkspark.com.au/sparkplug_ca ... 19994.6LV8

http://www.denso.com.au/sparkplug/finder

Would also clean your MAF see search on that proceedure ,make sure its dry
And get it checked with a dianostic tool Rovacam etc and have the adaptive values reset ,drive slowly for the first hundred miles see how you go

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Lumpy tick over can be caused by a few things, Maf sensor dirty or not functioning, Idle control valve, bad spark plugs and HT leads

On the spark plug issue go with the correct Champion RN11YCC, may have another part number in other countries but I doubt it, gapped at 1mm and last give or take 30 000km's, HT leads go originals, I have tried aftermarket with no luck
OEM HT leads have solved many a misfire with P38s I've repaired including my own.

Another area often overlooked is engine oil, if dirty change it with a good quality, had one today that wasnt running smoothly, changed oil (15W40) and filter, problem solved along with sorting out HT leads that were touching each other.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Another item to check is vaccum leaks on the intake side. The 'valley gasket' was originally just a thin tin sheet and was prone to failure. It was later re-designed and the update fixes many a vacuum leak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts