Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ,i hope sombody near to me can help, please ! bought my first 16 year old p38 2.5 dse and all went well for the first week, then my local garage had a look and took out the electric fan and put the proper bmw one in, then found the water pump had gone { hence the electric fan } then the censor for the turbo needed to be replaced and a service was done as was well overdue, got her home, all smiles,,, took her for a spin, 11 miles, full suspension failur, 18 inch alloys up inside arches,touching,eas showing on dash with 35 mph limit up, so nursed her home to my place, 7 miles on the bump stops, since all this happened the two garages near to me, one has closed and one has had a bereavement, dont quite know what to do or where to go ? i do have a land rover dealership about 15 miles away who KNOWS HOW TO CHARGE if you get my drift ! any ideas please, ta ta dick, ps, thank god i kept the defender

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
772 Posts
hi, i would say jump on ebay and grab yourself a eas lead,, you can download the software from rsw solutions,, read it first and make sure you understand, its very easy as long as you follow instructions,, at least then you can see if its gonna reboot back up,, and make it drivable to get it diagnosed if a problem,, its a piece of kit that most p38 owners have, lol.. also once youve rebooted the eas, unscrew the filter from back of compressor and put your finger over, should be sucking,, compressor failure is very common

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi chris and thanks, just looking through cars details and it says rear air bags replaced 16/12/09 and fronts replaced along with emergency inflation device 26/4/09, fronts feel well knackered, is that about right time span ?

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you have an emergency inflation device, then you should be able to fill up the airsprings manually. Search for a set of 4 shrader valves under the bonnet and inflate them with a pump.

You can't 'feel' bad airsprings as they just leak slowly. Go to RSWSolutions.com and review all the videos out there. You will learn how to diagnose leaking springs and how the system works. You can fix the whole system yourself for $1000s less than someone else and then you will have the knowledge to troubleshoot it as well. As a last resort, you can switch to coils.

·
Registered
772 Posts
airbgs in reality have a 3yr life,, its worth doing a rebuild of your valve block and compressor, these get abused by a lot of heat under the engine, its the first thing i do with every rangie i buy,, as for air bags, if you can inflate manually, pump em up, with your tape measure handy,, lol, then get a soapy solution in a spray bottle, go under and spray the bags, , any leaks will bubble away happily,, always best to change both bags if one is leaking,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
managed to inflate all four with compressor, the drivers front is going down slowly, could not do soap test as outside in the rain,3yr is not long so would i be better off having coils fitted, expensive or not to bad ? seems a good idea as she will not be going off road

·
Registered
772 Posts
changing to coils is your choice,, many air bags last for years, seems youve been unlucky,, personally i prefer air suspension, they were built with it, and although youve only driven a short while im sure you noticed how smooth the ride is !! changing a bag isnt hard,, roughly 20 mins start to finish,, you could look around for a good condition s/h one,, but if you plan on keeping then id spend out on new !! your still going to need the lead i mentioned just to reset the eas

·
Registered
334 Posts
managed to inflate all four with compressor, the drivers front is going down slowly, could not do soap test as outside in the rain,3yr is not long so would i be better off having coils fitted, expensive or not to bad ? seems a good idea as she will not be going off road
Airpsrings last 2 years out here which is painful if you drive a P38, excruciating if you drive a L322!!

I guess there's a certain kind of Rangie owner who will not rest easy until he's tried his car out in coils so sure- go right ahead but PLEASE make sure you keep all the EAS bits- even going to the point of removing and storing the height sensors. Discard NOTHING but the airsprings.

This is because in my part of the world at least you couldn't GIVE AWAY a sprung P38. I know- there's a guy who's been trying to give his away for quite a few months now so ALWAYS give your prospective purchaser (or yourself) the option of going back to EAS. The valve block, compressor, ECU, reservoir and other bits are cheap to overhaul but expensive to buy. Discarding them (or selling them) effectively dooms your car to running on coils forever.

Not that you'd want to anyway. Unless you're going to be running 30" or equally silly wheels on the car (in which case you're probably better off with something else- like a Defender or monster truck), you'll find the car either bottoming out on bumps with "comfort" rated coils or bouncing around like a Pajero or Landcruiser on "performance" rated ones and in all cases I've seen so far, the right rear corner will start to droop after a couple years, so chances are you'll either want to change back to EAS at some point or just give up and sell the car (ergo- keep the EAS bits).

Someone will be along in a minute saying that I'm talking out of my behind and coils are great and so on..... which is fine. Try it for yourself and make your own conclusion. The only advice I'd give- sincerely- is make sure you keep all the EAS bits!

Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Might not be the airbag itself leaking, especially after only three years, as mine were not leaking but I replaced them before I got problems as they had been on the vehicle for ten years! Could possibly be leaking from the pipe connection onto the airbag located at the top of the airbag. Use some soapy water around the pipework connections to test.
Personally I would keep the air suspension due to the ride quality and you have the added extra option of manually inflating the system!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
thanks all,will keep air suspension, rear of truck still up front going down.will be back, spoke to a couple of landrover garages today one was to change to coils £700+vat and the other did not even reply

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Keep the air suspension BUT be proactive about the system --- waiting till something fails or ignoring a small problem will turn out expensive.

overhaul the compressor and valve block first and see how it goes. (of course, the bags themselves must be ok -- do a search on the ee bayy, they are not expensive unless you go for the Arnotts ......

And, how long do you intend to keep the car?

Are you in love yet? :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
if you take the air pipes out of bags and valve block on the front, trim them with a stanley knife 1/8th of an inch, then run a pencil shaperner round each end just to shamfer slightly,, replace and check for leaks, (soapy water in spray bottle)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, will report findings when i get a chance, work keeps getting in the way, mind you i have the head lining to sort after this, deep joy, not !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts