RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 4.6 had a Webasto aux heater when I bought it, since it is not that cold over here and I need the space for an LPG unit I have removed the heater.
Carefully tracing down all wiring to get the original state back I have seen the book symbol showing up several times.
Everything works again (book is gone) but the screen shows an outside airtemp moving from +8ºC (correct) to -40ºC all within 5 minutes while standing on my driveway.
Does anybody know what gremlin this is?
Tony.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I can not imagine removing a preheater. However as the damage is done I suggest going wire by wire and figure out what you messed up. Download RAVE will give you NAS spec schematics as a start since we had no preheater options here. Long and short is if it worked before your messed with it than you are are root of the issue.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Over here a Webasto is usually a manually folding vinyl sunroof :)
I'd have a long hard look at your ambient air temp sensor and its wiring. RAVE K4 Heating and ventilation with A/C Page 9 has the connectors etc. I'd have a guess that there was a splice in the line when the Webasto was fitted which has now been disturbed/ grounded or something.
In addition you need to be moving for ambient to be displayed correctly- again from RAVE
airtemp1.JPG

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can not imagine removing a preheater.
Well it has never worked anyway, fuelline was cut off, the plumbing into the coolingsystem was a mess with various extensions, elbows and electrically a Gordian knot with bungeeing relays and a home made fusebank.
Not exactly a factory install, otherwise I should't dare to remove it.
I've had one more experience with a heater in a Classic, half an hour before leaving you press a button and you enter a comfy warm car... and a dead battery.
So away with it, besides as said I need the space for the LPG converter and I don't want to stress the coolingsystem with more additional plumbing.
The wiring was easy to recognise as not being LR so I worked my way back to the heaterblowers and reconnected the original plugs, luckily they were still attached.
So far so good, leaves the ambient temp meter.
Thanks Orangebean for the scheme, I do have Rave but did not see that page yet.
It says the meter can reset after driving a while, we will see how it goes.
Thanks guys for your input, keep you posted.
Tony.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts