RangeRovers.net Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
12 Posts
Ok Just replace the Blower Motor Resistor . Bloody hell it took 3 hours who said this was easy, you need very small hands to do this lol.
I will advise in a couple of days if my battery dies again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Load Disconnection
The BCU supplies various electrical loads on the vehicle, such as the glovebox lamp, reading lamps, luggage
compartment lamps, etc., that can be switched on and remain on when the vehicle is parked. A central load
disconnection feature in the BCU ensures the battery is not discharged in the event these loads are switched on
continuously. The trigger time after the ignition is switched off is 16 minutes and is independent of the sleep mode
timer.
The BCU also disconnects the following loads while the engine cranks, to maximise the available power from the
battery:
l
Wipers
l
Washer pump
l
Headlamp cleaning
l
Window regulators
l
Sunroof.
If the one-touch function of a window or sunroof is active before the load disconnection, the function is not continued
when engine cranking stops.
Sleep Mode
To conserve power, the entire BCU goes into a 'sleep' mode 16 minutes after signal activity ceases and the ignition
is switched off. The typical current consumption of the BCU in sleep mode is 1.25 mA. In the sleep mode the BCU is
in a limited operational mode from which it can be awakened by certain relevant wake-up signals. After being
awakened, the BCU remains awake for 1 minute if no action is triggered. If an action is triggered, the BCU remains
awake for at least 16 minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Update.

I have noticed with the new Blower Motor Resistor installed my front heater vents no longer blow heat. All other vents do just not the front. Also I have noticed when I turn the lights on the interior lights dim a little.

I guess that’s what you get when you buy the cheapest one on e-bay..

Hey but no dead battery :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have changed 3 FRS in 2 weeks......and the little fun from the AC unit...ATC ECU..still its on after I switch off ignition and close the car...!!!!
I don't know what's wrong???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update.

I have noticed with the new Blower Motor Resistor installed my front heater vents no longer blow heat. All other vents do just not the front. Also I have noticed when I turn the lights on the interior lights dim a little.

I guess that’s what you get when you buy the cheapest one on e-bay..

Hey but no dead battery :)

Have you had any battery problems since you wrote this post? I have the EXACT same problem and I own a 2003 Range Rover

·
Registered
1 Posts
problem solve ...no more battery drain....
Hello All,

My Range Rover is having the same problem Ottok is describing and I have replaced the FSR to no effect.

Unless I remove fuse 64 the blower fan will not turn off. Unfortunately its getting cold now so I hope I can get it resolved before I do something drastic and take it to a Dealer...

·
Registered
3 Posts
To my Veterans: LandRover replaced this part back in February 2012, is it possible that it needs to be changed out again??

My battery seems to be draining causing limpmode on start up, after 30min drive I can shut car of and restart as if everything is okay. "Service engine light" comes on and goes away every time,

Replaced these parts in 20138
Radiator
Alternator
Battery
Transmission oil & filter

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's about time someone came on this forum and solves this battery drain carry on,I have replaced the hevac resistor on mine twice and still does the same ie, fan still running and I have red all the nonsense remarks about wee lights,cd player on and all the rest off stupid remarks when is somebody gonna come on and solve this irritating problem once and for all I'm going mad reading posts from other members lets sort this out
I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 that I bought four months ago with about 34,000 miles. After a couple months, it would not start after an evening in the garage, or a day parked at work. Naturally, I had the battery and alternator tested. IThe battery is an OEM Interstate and I took it to the local Interstate distributor and they indicated that it was only about four months old, so it was replaced just prior to me purchasing. The battery tested well and the alternator tested good as well.

I noticed that the blower that pulls exterior air from the center top of hood (at pollen filter location) into the cab of the vehicle would intermittently turn on and off. Reading through various forums, I see that this is somewhat normal, especially after the first 20 minutes of turning off and locking vehicle, but mine will mysterious kick on hours or even days after turning off and locking vehicle. I check the computer about the Aux. ventilation programming and I made sure that no programming was set for this to occur, so it's not a programming issue. I always lock and arm the vehicle when parked.

I am 99% sure my battery drain is due to this aux. blower fan kicking on hours after parking, where it should not be. I realize there are other factors that can contribute to battery drain such as drive time to work...I drive about 12 miles each way so I don't think it's that much of an issue. I also realize that other car remote alarm usage such as parking garages can wake up the Rangie from sleep mode and drain the battery, but I don't park in areas as such.

I took it to the dealer to get checked out. They said it was the AC Head Unit (the AC controller panel with all of the knobs and buttons). They wanted to charge $867 for the part. I ordered it online for $630 and they installed it for $100. After repairs were made, the same problem occured one week later, so it obviously wasn't the AC Head Unit.

I have decided to do the research and fix it myself since even the dealer doesn't know and will only keep running up charges. After reading through all of these great forums, I believe that I need to install a relay and link harness Kit 1 (part # YNI500040K), but this part was created in service action # BD162v2 which is for 2004 vehicles with vin. #s between 4A153466 and 4A164860. Well, mine's a 2003, so can anyone confirm it will install the same on the 03? My vin. is 3A106101, so not in that range and is different year. Also, if that part will fit, has anyone ever done this themselves?? Do you have to actually reprogram the CPU after installation?

If it's not the relay, I think it might be a fault to a resistor ballast unit since someone else resolved their problem be replacing this part. Any thoughts? Does anyone know what this part # would be and how to install??

Thanks for everyone's time with this.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
After having "dead battery" problems with my '04 intermittently over the last couple of years I think I have finally found my problem. It usually exhibited dead battery problems in very cold weather - January in Kansas weather. I changed the battery twice and the FSR twice. I monitored quiescent current in EVERY fuse circuit.
When I came out the movies the other day it was dead, fine when I went in. So I decided to remove the explosive 'squib' from the positive terminal thinking it maybe going high resistance in cold weather and BINGO no problems for the last 3 nights and I haven't attempted to even start it until now. Battery still above 12V and started fine.
Just another thing for all to check, easy to be fooled by this one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am experiencing the same issues with my wife's 2004 RR which we have owned since new in June 04'. Three (3) Bosch S6-95R Batteries installed in the last 26 months. The car lives on a trickle charger now and she has to carry a booster pack in the vehicle just in case.

I pulled Fuses 64 (50amp) overnight and it still dies. I pulled fuse 34 (7.5amp) overnight, same result so I'm not sure if the FSR is the culprit. The RR is outside the aforementioned TSB for VIN .

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this thread , I must have read this thread three times.
Oh dear the dreaded battery drain !
Having bought a new battery back in October to beat the Scottish winter .But no , so in the middle of changing the FSR . I have just ordered a new one but not convinced it is causing the drain.
I have sat in and listened to the whirring both with the FSR CONNECTED and unconnected , both ways, the vehicle shuts down and the fan whirring stops.
I also , because its mentioned in this thread, .investigated the wiper connections , someone suggested that because it parks in the wrong place then the bcu remains active as it points to sky waiting for its resting place .
Can anyone throw any suggestions out there.

Just read the thread about endless battery issues and went to the link on fuse testing for current draw.
After 10-20 mns at 3.amps , then shut down on vehicle I was left with a small amount of draw at .64 amps. There was no fuse to show any loss below that , so I am guessing my battery must be ok . Further monitoring is required.

Final reading after shut down .11 amps. Truly think there is an intermittent drain I am not catching

·
Registered
63 Posts
Update , after much waiting and pulling fuses, inadvertently blowing the multimeter ones and waking up the car from sleep , I found one fuse to drop .119 amps to .016 . So as much as Iwould try , I can’t drop this anymore.
in the scheme of things is this value enough to accept. That’s like 16 milieamps.

141 - 154 of 154 Posts