RangeRovers.net Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
289 Posts
regarding what seeting and ouside/inside temperature, the system would start to full blow icecold air if the sun was hitting the solar sensor on the dashboard;
exact same problem still exists after resistor change;what is this solar sensor for?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wow, really chuffed I found this forum and thread... tonnes of suggestions and remedies suggested.

I've had my 2003 HSE (with high-line HEVAC system) since this summer, Here's the issue(s) I'm having:

- I had a mystery battery drain about two months after getting the vehicle, in the summer. I invested in a voltmeter and diagnosed that the battery was getting up to 14V with the engine running so concluded the alternator was fine. When sitting the battery voltage would hold at around 12.25v which is a bit lower than the rated 12.5v. With the voltmeter, I was able to watch the battery drain to below 12 in a matter of minutes so obvioulsy something is drawing a lot of amps to drain the battery so quickly. I took the precaution of taking the battery in for a full charge and diagnosis - according to the experts at Canadian Tire the battery is fine.

- The problem went away over the summer (only happened once over a period of 2-3 months I think) and I was always able to recharge the battery on trickle charge.

- Now, it's winter over here on the west coast and my problems started resurfacing when the weather started getting colder. I pulled into the driveway two days ago, shut off the RR and went back out 10 minutes later and the vehicle wouldn't crank over. Trickle charged overnight, started (with protest) the next morning and then died twice during the day if left for more than 20-30 mins with everything shut down.

- I have noticed a buzzing noise form behind the A/C control panel when the vehicle is shut down and the key is out of the ignition. This will continue and never shuts down, the buzzing increases and decreases in frequency and is also accompanied by an alternating "click" that almost sounds like somehting trying to disengage or shut itself off.

- I intermittently notice a "chirping" sound which i beleive is coming form the vents or behind the dash (is this a faulty ECU fan?)

- The colder it is the more reluctant the rover is to crank over. Not sure if this is related to battery condition or a potnetial corroded or faulty starter motor.

I'm going to re check that the battery is holding its charge by fully charging and then disconnecting it, checking it every 10 mins. I'm then going to reconnect the battery and start pulling some of the fuses that have been mentioned in this excellent thread. I'm hoping I can track it down to a particular fuse and get the relays/resistors myself to save a few bucks on labour IF I'm able to diagnose the problem. I have asked the dealer about this issue and of course they don't seem to be aware of the problem even thought there was a TSB! I don't fancy paying them $110/hr to do the diagnosis though...

Here goes... will keep you updated with my progress and may be back to ask some silly questions - electrical stuff is not my forte!

·
Registered
217 Posts
BREAKTHROUGH!

After pulling fuses I managed to cut the constant buzzing noise from behind the centre A/C control panel. let the vehicel run for five mins and checked the battery after shutting down the engine... I'm reading 12.7v with no drain! I've never seen the battery read this high so I'm at least centring in on the issue.

Downside - I now have no heated seats, no heat, no A/C, no heated windows... kind like being back in a Series III Landy.

The fuse I pulled was fuse 12 in teh glove box - which is labelled as "heated seats". Evidenlty fuse 12 controls more than just heated seats - will be making a call to the dealer on Monday to see if they can help track down which individual composnent is causing the power drain.

I read somewhere on this thread that people were suggesting making a switch/relay to shut down this circuit when the vehicle is turned off - any information on this would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
217 Posts
UPDATE

OK so it appears that I ahvn't solved the probel... the Rover is stricken in the driveway, unable to start. The battery is draining from full charge to below 12v in a matter of seconds now. ANyone have any suggestions?

As far as I'm concerned the battery is fine - it holds charge at 12.6v overjight when dosconnected form the harnesses... something is killing the battery quickly - I'm guessing a short somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

dave

·
Registered
217 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED

I found the issue and fixed it at home yesterday. Upon taking the battery out of it's "harness" I noticed the tray was wet and showed signs of surface rust so I took it out with the intention of drilling some holes in it to allow better drainage thinking moisture was gathering aorund the battery.

When I took out the tray I noticed the "drain pipe" from the plastic moulding around the wind screen wiper area was not connected properly (it should go into the fender) and was pissing water all over an electrical component near the passenger side footwell (heater control switch maybe?).

Anyway, I put the pipe back where it should be and dried off the wet component before completely recharging the battery in doors. Also cleaned up the contacts with contact spray and hooked everything up again this morning - she was a bit reluctant to crank over this morning (suspect the contact spray wasn't compleyely dry) but I got her going and she's been holding charge all day. Finger crossed I cracked this nut.

I was really dreading a fatal and expensive electonic problem - just goes to show that a bit of digging around can save you a tonne of $$ at the delaership and that i shouldn't jump the gun about electrical gremlins even if it is a Land Rover product!

As an aside, the battery is showin low CCA so I am ordering a brand new interstate battery tomorrow and touch wood my issues are solved... for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi , on my 2003 range rover i have the same issue whit battery when the car are not uses for 2-3 days , i have this weekend try to remove fuse no 49 and this solve the problem , so my big Q is ... have this something to do whit the FSR ? and the fan system ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Read this thread with great interest, as I have had the same problems for 5(!) years now..... Did the fixed drainage do the trick?

Geir

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have changed the FSR, but still have the same problems!! In addition, my car has introduced a new problem; it will not start in the cold, not even after being warm....? Anyone?

Geir

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can I get a wire diagram or picture from this wiring harness Kit YNI500040K??? I need to make one for my car.
This picture its not a good one to make the connection...

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have changed the FSR, but still have the same problems!! In addition, my car has introduced a new problem; it will not start in the cold, not even after being warm....? Anyone?

Geir
You may have a drain somewhere else. Have you measured the loss rate?

·
Registered
15 Posts

Geir
Its a diesel or petrol??
If its diesel change all the glow plugs..or check them, unplug them first and there are 2 ways to check them..one with an ohme meter...or with a battery put the minus on the headcyliner and the plus on the grow plug end and see if there is a "connection flame" and do not keep for more the 3-4 seconds.!!!!! Where make a little flame in connection that plug its good!!!
For petrol ....can be petrol pump...lose presure...spark plugs....but let me know if your car its petrol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2003. I'm going to look under the batttery tray and advise.

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE. My problem is when the truck sites for a couple of days the battery is dead. I have replaced the battery twice. Something is killing the battery. I did check under the battery tray and everything looks in order.

I think it's the HVAC system I hear the fan going on and off and a gargling sound when I turn the truck off. Something is not turning off and it sounds like the HVAC system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi gents

I have been reading through this thread and I am hoping one of you may be able to help. My 2003 Diesel got a flat battery. I removed it and charged it, now it says Air Susp. Inactive?? All the lights on the height adjuster are out as well as the height indicator.

Any ideas how to reset the suspension?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
11 Posts
I had the same battery drain on my old 2003 Range. I replaced the Resistor and fixed the problem IN THE INTERIM you can pull the fuse in the glovebox while you are waiting for the part in the mail. Granted your heat won't work in the interim, atleast your truck will start! you can literally pull the fuse when parked, and plug it back in when you start i belive it was fuse #52 but not positive woudl have to go back into my old notes and look...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just ordered the Range Rover Heater Fan Blower Motor Resistor. I'll update everyone as soon as I have it installed.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts