RangeRovers.net Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Update: Visited with the independent yesterday morning @9.30am where he said he was still trying to diagnose the problem but from his research on Friday, he suspects a bad starter. Got a call later @2pm that the car was fixed and the issue was due to corroded connection wires on the starter especially starter to battery cable all of which were cleaned. Total charge for this was $270 (which includes the towing fee of $57)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a similar problem, but don't know if it's the blower resistor...looking for some help:

Past 3 days I've had the same issue (park the car in my garage, come down in the morning, no juice to start the car). I figure there is battery drain somewhere.

When I turn the car off, there isn't any air actually coming out of the center fans, but more of a constant buzzing behind the climate control/AC area. My P light stays lit 24/7 as well.

Is this the same blower resistor issue you guys are talking about or something different? If I go to the dealer and mention this, does it take a long time? Also, how much should I expect to pay for the part?

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Veritas&Equitas said:
...but if the constant buzzing behind the climate control area is the FSR, that must be my problem? Thanks again for any advice
No, the buzzing noise is the cooling fan on the ECU. A faulty blower final stage resister is manifest by air coming from the vents when the vehicle is turned off - often the blower is running very slowly, so put your hand over the vents to feel for air. It might only be coming on occasionally, so check it a few times over a period of several hours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have this battery drain issue. Pulling fuse 64 does not stop the drain and I can still hear some buzzing noise from center dash. Does this mean its NOT the final stage relay?? I have pulled fuse 15 and this seems to have stopped it but Im unable to lock my doors and no int lights.

Veritas&Equitas, What was your fix?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

2003 Range Rover HSE

·
Registered
108 Posts
mmuhlen said:
I also have this battery drain issue. Pulling fuse 64 does not stop the drain and I can still hear some buzzing noise from center dash. Does this mean its NOT the final stage relay?? I have pulled fuse 15 and this seems to have stopped it but Im unable to lock my doors and no int lights.

Veritas&Equitas, What was your fix?
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

2003 Range Rover HSE
I have the exact same model and problem. Did you find a fix?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great forum! Thanks to everybody for the detailed postings. I have a 2002 RR TD6 and want to share with you my problems. First of all I to have had a lot of problems regarding battery draining. I thought I had replaced all possible patrs to fix this incl battery and alternator, but No, problems stilled occured.
1. Battery drain reg headlamp wipers. - replaced relay with new. did not fix problem. the problem was the actual wiper motors. after wear and tear they do not lock in "off" postion and stops within just millimeters. Sollution: Replace wiper motors (I changed both even if it was just on of them which malfunctioned). Parts cost approx. 200 USD each (try ebay or uk dealers)
2. Battery drain reg RF receiever. - only appliacable to pre 2002 models. I removed to connections to all RF equipment in my car to check if this was the drain problem but NO.
3. Battery drain regarding HEVAC.- the following removal of fuses will stop the battery drain if HEVAC is the problem. Fuse # 64 - blower regulator. This will disconnect the regulaor, but will NOT interfere on the actual bussing sound heard from the AC Controlpanel after enginge is switch off. If you still experience battery drain, pull out fuse #12. This will disconnect the AC Unit and the sound will stop. If battery drain stops purchase the upgrade kit YNI500040K. If battery drain stops after pulling fuse #64 it is sufficient to replace the blower regulator - JGO000021. (I replaced both just to be sure)
4. Indications that something is wrong with the your Hevac system: At the same time as my battery startet draining I experienced that the AC would go wild when a had direct sunlight on my windscreen. regarding what seeting and ouside/inside temperature, the system would start to full blow icecold air if the sun was hitting the solar sensor on the dashboard. Covering this would bring the system back to normal. I first thought is was the solar sensor and changed this. NO HELP. It cost me 20 USD for the part and 400 USD for the labour! (they said they had to remove the whole dash to change this. Just warning you! After changing the blower regulator the problems is solved. If I just had read this forum before ....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you very much for those infos! I've asked to my dealer to repair the FSR, even if he's not sure that it was the problem. In fact, I was experiencing ONLY incredible battery drain (the battery totally went out in 1 night!).

Today I'm going to take back the car. If I want to check if the problem is gone what should I do? Close me inside the car and wait for the buzzz to end or what?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok, I've take back the car this morning.
They have changed the blower regulator, but still there is battery drain. They said that PROBABLY is because of the little fan ALWAYS ON of the AC (the fan stops working if we pull out fuse #12).
But they cannot find the YNI500040K kit. Do you know where I can buy one?

BTW, I'll pull out fuse #12 every time, so I will not experience battery drain anymore!

·
Registered
4 Posts
How much drain is there?
0,2 A is acceptable, but remember that RR are known to "eat" batteries especially during cold winters. With a brand new battery I still have to recharge it every other week to be on the safe side. I do a lot of "small trips" driving.
The AC fan should not drain the battery in ONE night. Try also my other tip reg the headlamp wipers. That fooled me for quite sometime. I pulled the fuse (dont remember the actual # but youll find it on the console listing)
and battery drain stopped (until the FSR problem occured :)).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wipers are ok, there shouldn't be any problem there.

I don't know exactly how much drain there is, but after the replacement of the FSR I continue to hear the buzz noise even after 20min. Naturally, it stops after having pulled out the #12.
I will do some tests next days and see what happen!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reaven said:
Wipers are ok, there shouldn't be any problem there.

I don't know exactly how much drain there is, but after the replacement of the FSR I continue to hear the buzz noise even after 20min. Naturally, it stops after having pulled out the #12.
I will do some tests next days and see what happen!

I see that you have a 06 model. The problem with the AC unit is 2004 so by changing the FSR you should be in the clear. The close down time for the buzz noise (blower)is between 20 and 45 min depending on the heat from the ECU its cooling down. It does not take more than max 0.2 amps so this alone will not drain your battery.

101 - 120 of 154 Posts