RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 that I bought four months ago with about 34,000 miles. After a couple months, it would not start after an evening in the garage, or a day parked at work. Naturally, I had the battery and alternator tested. IThe battery is an OEM Interstate and I took it to the local Interstate distributor and they indicated that it was only about four months old, so it was replaced just prior to me purchasing. The battery tested well and the alternator tested good as well.

I noticed that the blower that pulls exterior air from the center top of hood (at pollen filter location) into the cab of the vehicle would intermittently turn on and off. Reading through various forums, I see that this is somewhat normal, especially after the first 20 minutes of turning off and locking vehicle, but mine will mysterious kick on hours or even days after turning off and locking vehicle. I check the computer about the Aux. ventilation programming and I made sure that no programming was set for this to occur, so it's not a programming issue. I always lock and arm the vehicle when parked.

I am 99% sure my battery drain is due to this aux. blower fan kicking on hours after parking, where it should not be. I realize there are other factors that can contribute to battery drain such as drive time to work...I drive about 12 miles each way so I don't think it's that much of an issue. I also realize that other car remote alarm usage such as parking garages can wake up the Rangie from sleep mode and drain the battery, but I don't park in areas as such.

I took it to the dealer to get checked out. They said it was the AC Head Unit (the AC controller panel with all of the knobs and buttons). They wanted to charge $867 for the part. I ordered it online for $630 and they installed it for $100. After repairs were made, the same problem occured one week later, so it obviously wasn't the AC Head Unit.

I have decided to do the research and fix it myself since even the dealer doesn't know and will only keep running up charges. After reading through all of these great forums, I believe that I need to install a relay and link harness Kit 1 (part # YNI500040K), but this part was created in service action # BD162v2 which is for 2004 vehicles with vin. #s between 4A153466 and 4A164860. Well, mine's a 2003, so can anyone confirm it will install the same on the 03? My vin. is 3A106101, so not in that range and is different year. Also, if that part will fit, has anyone ever done this themselves?? Do you have to actually reprogram the CPU after installation?

If it's not the relay, I think it might be a fault to a resistor ballast unit since someone else resolved their problem be replacing this part. Any thoughts? Does anyone know what this part # would be and how to install??

Thanks for everyone's time with this.

Andy

·
Registered
509 Posts
That link harnass kit..

What will it do??

I have similar problems, and need to start the car every other day to make sure the batterie is charged

I was also thinking about a solution to this problem, but have no clue what it could be, i have already taken out the cd changer cassete, so the car doesn't need to keep track off the track it was playing, but i really doubt this is the real problem

when i sit in the car with the engine off, i can still hear something working in the dash, no it is not the clock, but this can go on for hours and hours, if i know what it is, i can maybe shut it off and stop it from daining my batterie

So i am very keen to know what you are trying to do to your car with that harnas and where you are putting it

so keep us informed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lummac,

I'm hoping someone on here can advise if that link harness will fix the problem. No one has responded yet.

On the top center of your hood, just below the windshield, do you feel suction at that grill at times (when your hear the mysterious sound on the inside of the cab)? If yes, does it occur even HOURS after turning off and locking your vehicle? If yes, then it sounds like you have the same exact problem as me.

That was a good of idea for you to take out the CD changer cassette as I have also read that it can drain the battery since the CD changer uses battery power to remember CD song position, but honestly, I don't think that uses much power consumption, but always good to rule it out.

Let's hope someone can provide us with more knowledge.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ok forget about that the cd will drain the batterie, that is not it

I will speak to my dealer about the harnass and if they know anything about the batterie drainage caused by the HEVAC. (I printed off the page from this forum)

Cause again after two days iam stranded in my drive with again a dead batterie.

It is now getting really anyoing

Here is the paragraph
Drain Due to HEVAC System
Another possible cause of mysterious battery drain on the new model is the HVAC system -- there is an official 2003 technical service bulletin on "Range Rover HVAC Quiescent Battery Drain". Mark Johnson reports: "I had the battery drain problem. I believe the dealer said it was a cooling or air circulation fan in the battery or engine compartment area that was nor shutting off as it was supposed to. It is supposed to cooler the area after the engine shuts off and then shut down itself. Wasn't do the shutting down by itself part. After a bit of digging the dealer found that it was a known occasional problem that Rover was trying to find a remedy for."
Update February 2005: Mark Pablo reports that in August 2004 "My dealer stated that this is a common problem with the '04 when I complained about the battery dying twice. The said that there was a software upgrade and a wiring harness change that they made, took less than an hour, I have only 3800 miles." Chris Gianniny confirms this information after talking to a L/R dealer in October 2004 who told him there is a TSB162 out to install a relay which will knock down the HVAC system from activating roughly every 20 minutes. "This has been a known case for battery drain over a couple of days. The effect that when opening doors I hear HVAC motors running is proper. It seems the relay kills any non-critical climate controls systems when the vehicle has been locked. I am in the process of trying to get a copy of the TSB and decide whether or not the cure is worse than the problem. Sounds like it is just a plug and play relay into the main wiring harness." Jeff Rualo reports the same problem -- after 3 days of no use the car would not start. In fact, after 2 days of no use, the battery would register a reading as low as 12 volts (when it should be 12.5+) and the car had a hard time starting. He confirms Land Rover issued a Service Action BD 162 v2 around February 2004 in which they diagnosed as a quiescent battery drain brought about by a fault in a relay in the HEVAC system. In Jeff's case the cure involved installing a relay and harness kit (YNI500040K) which took them about 3 hours to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I pulled out the 50 amp fuse from the blower (fuse # 64) and it kills this problem, so any time I park the car, I pull this fuse out to temporarily kill the battery drain problem. I have written down all of this information and I'm bringing this information along with my Rangie to a new dealer in Atlanta. I'll let you know what they say. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I see that your car is an 2003, is spoke to the dealer and discussed the harnass

the harnass cost about Gbp34,- and is freguently sold and installed by my dealer, he was fully aware of the battery drain problem

HOWEVER, based on the chasis number he can tell you if the harnass will be a solution to the problem, and it is not

the harnass is only for cars of 2004 and later, and mine is a 2002 so it would not work, he couldn/t tell me if the harnass would fit, but he said that the battery drain problem did not occur on 2002 cars (well i have it so it does happen)

i will do some work on the fuse 64 to see if i can make a special switch

Please keep me updated, and together we will crack this issue

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rolled the dice and went ahead and ordered this harness and relay kit YNI500040K from utahparts.com for $59.40 US Dollars. I will receive it tomorrow via UPS and will take a look and see if it's something I can install. If there's computer programming involved subsequent to installing, then I obviously will have to have the dealer perform that work. Does your local dealer know for sure if it will work for the 2003 model?? WE ARE GOING TO GET THROUGH THIS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM SOLVED

Lummac,

I received the wiring harness today and installed it very easily in about 10 minutes....PROBLEM SOLVED! All you do is remove the A/C control head (snaps out), remove two plugs, plug them into the wiring harness and plug the wiring harness into the control head. There's a relay attached to this wiring harness that keeps the A/C circulation fan from running after shutting down the engine. Let me know if you have the same luck as me!

·
Registered
509 Posts
could you show on some pictures, where that cable sits, so i can do the same

So if i understand it correct the cable comes complete with the relay??

Well maybe i will order one on monday to, so if you switch of the engine, then the ac fan stops too??

sorry for the questions, but i need to get this sorted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, I will take some pictures. I will have to borrow a camera from a friend and post them, so may take me a couple days. Bad news though; the battery went dead last night, so problem is not completely fixed. I will have to take into dealer on Tuesday. You might want to hold off on ordering that part until they tell me if it will help. Sorry for the confusion here...thought the problem was gone.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi.
Went for a short run today when I turned off the engine and removed the key the heater/aircon continued to run. I turned the Ignition on and off several times, eventually turned the heater control off and the motor(s) stopped. This is not the same noise when you open the doors. Mine is a 2002 model. Will be intrested to know about this harness and relay kit. Thanks.
Stewart.

·
Registered
509 Posts
i pulled some fuses and if i pull fuse 27 which is glove box light, interior lights and windscreen washers, gues what, it stopped the heather cntrol,

so i will pull this one out and see if it stops draining the power, however as it is also the glove box light, it makes it difficult to put the fuse back in when it is light

About the harnass, i had my suspicion about it, as my dealer did say it is only applicable for chasis numers of cars produced after 2003, so only 2004 and upwards

well we see how it goes

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dealer said the blower regulator (JGO 000021) needed to be replaced and performed the work. Cost = $440 US dollars. They said that the installation of the relay needed to be performed anyways, so they left it in installed. The relay is an issue with 2003 models for sure according to the dealer.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

I know youve narrowed your problem down to HVAC however just incase someone else is having a simialar problem NOT due to HVAC then it could be the battery, event though it may read fine when teseted by the dealer.

We had the problem in our 06 and had land rover support ou 2 times to start the car, the dealer tested the battery and said that it was fine and checked for any drains, they even kept it in over night to check that nothing was coming on intermittently, however once the battery was changed with one off one of the new vehicles that had come in, i feel sorry for the person who bought that one, the problem was solved.

Apparently it was due to the plates touching in the battery which would short it and discharge it. WHen the vehicle is jump started the energy would push the plates appart and everything would look fine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I am having a similar problem. 2003 RR VIN # is 3A124000 - 124500 range. Have had a flat battery numerous times, even after a long drive the day before. Battery is less than a year old.
Week before last the alternator went and was replaced, (under extended warranty, ) but I am still having battery drain problems. I bought a multi level charger, and charged it up yesterday using the 15 amp level until the green light came on to say "fuily charged" That took about five hours. Then just as a check I left it on trickle charge (2 amp) overnight, and when I came out this morning the charger no longer said it was fully charged. This suggests that the drain is larger than 2 amps.

( Consistent with this is once about three weeks ago, when it had some power but not enough to crank the engine, so I left it on the trickle charger and 2 hours later it was completely dead.)

When I had it at the dealer last week they did a battery drain reading but did not get this high a reading. It's going back in in a day or two.

I don't exactly hear a blower noise when the car is turned off, but I hear a sort of grr - grrr grr noise, not all the time but from time to time.

I will tell the dealer about the TSB on the HEVAC system, but as I don't hear the blower noise, has anybody got any other ideas?

For now I have the charger to put on it at night, and I went out and bought a second battery as well to carry around in the back in case I am stranded somewhere, but it's really not right with a car this expensive. :(

Sometimes I miss my 1966 Renault 10, which at actually came with a crank (which I had more than one occasion to use) but that car cost me less than $500, back then.

Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your batterie is fine

Try pulling fuse 49 overnight, its the 30amp fuse which is for

the navigation system
on board computer
on board monitor
Audio system

The range rover has a natural leak in the boot, if you lift the sparewheel cover, you can sometimes see water in it

This is a common problem

(People who have active suspension problems have know about this, as water in the booth makes the compresser and electrics malfunction)

The water comes from the back window or boot rubbers and drops on the radio and navigation units.

Sometimes you can find the upholstery being damp or wet

Water and electrics do not mix with each other, and it is very easy to have a "power leak"

So

Check if your boot (spare wheel well) is dry, then try overnight to pull fuse 49 and see if this makes a difference

Please let us know how you get on

http://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/extf ... tCode=1234

·
Registered
690 Posts
No problem with water in the boot.

Rather than pull the fuse I've decided just to leave mine without charging it again, treating it normally to see if it goes flat again, and how soon. Muggs law will mean it will probably go flat when my wife has it parked at work, on the odd day that she takes it, but otherwise I won't have anything to tell the dealer that it is still a problem.

Thanks for the advice. Will let you know if there are further problems.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts