RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my dogs - a rather large great dane - is unable to jump into the RR. We've tried a ramp but that seems to be too steep for him to go up (down is fine) and at this point we're having to carry him into the car, which in view of his weight is no fun.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Open the tailgate and put his food in the back. He'll learn how to jump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
texige said:
Open the tailgate and put his food in the back. He'll learn how to jump.
In view of the fact that he spent the first year of his life locked up in a cage -I got him from an animal shelter- I'm afraid that it's not quite as simple as that. :think:

BTW If anyone in or near Germany is looking to adopt a great Dane, please pm me. There are many other wonderful animals looking for good homes.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
When my lab was injured, it was pretty easy to have him put his front paws on the gate, then just lift his back legs. That being said, a 100 lb lab aint no 180 lb Grate Dane!

Not sure what the terrain is like by you, but if you back up into a hillside, the gate can be made to be at ground level.

Maybe make a hinged box that you can fold up to store, and expand when needed?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Robad,

Well done on the rescue, you are a good person. My last 3 dogs were rescues, two boxers and a dobbie. The dobbie was 130lbs and old, he couldn't jump into my truck, so I used the same method as Kmagnuss, a little hard on my old back, but hey, he was worth it.

I'm not sure if your Dane can't or wont get in the truck. My current boxer does not like travelling in the truck unless she thinks we are going to the town trail for a walk. If she sees we are going out in the truck (or car), she runs back into the house unless I say the magic "walkies" word, where upon she happily jumps straight in. I think if you could train your dane that getting into the truck leads to something good it may help.

Regards
Mac

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gagamac said:
I'm not sure if your Dane can't or wont get in the truck.
Actually I'm not quite sure. I suspect that he does have at least some discomfort. On the other hand he definitely enjoys being with us at all times, including when we take the car.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have a 10 year old Nova Scotia Duck Toller retriever who loves going for rides but cannot jump into the back of the Range any more even when it is lowered. What I did was reinforced a little shoe shelf to make a long bench like step about 14 inches high and he can jump onto this and from this into the back.This also used to work to help my mother into our Discovery II.
Our Bichon Frise, on the other hand, I have to lift in all the time... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts