RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its the one all the way on the left that moves up and down :)

Like a few of the other posts I've read, I'm only getting warm air from the top defrost (round) vents on my '93 RR when I'm driving. I can't follow the advice I've read here because the left-most lever is stuck in the middle position and won't move up or down no matter what. I've pulled the front of the interior vent box off, but that wont let me access the lever (its on the left of this box). Is there anyway I can access the linkage to see why its not moving? Thanks for any clues!

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Have you removed the lever control face plate? If so, then try removing the panel under the steering wheel and see if you can access/free linkage that way. Either way you'll need small hands to work in these areas. The good news is that this switch doesn't control incoming fresh air. It turns the A/C fans on which causes recirculated cabin air to blow out the front dash vents. Fresh air intake damper is controlled by an electrically actuated vacuum servomotor, which naturally sits in the open position when de-energized. Only the defrost and foot vents blow fresh air. (hard dash model)

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
For further clarification, heat only comes out of foot and defrost vents. Front dash vents serve A/C only (no heat).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply! I will have to look at that this weekend now that I better understand the heater function. Will let you know the outcome - Thanks again!

·
Registered
104 Posts
rtkraken,
If I could hop on this post... my blower fan is hitting, I believe, one of the vent tubes or something inside there that is making one hell of a racket when the blower is on. Is that lower drivers side panel one way to get access to the fan? It's bloody cold here and not only is the sound unbearable but I'm afraid running it will burn out the blower. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Blower access is difficult. I had a mouse nest in mine once and removed the dash in a futile attempt to gain access to the blowers internals. As it turned out, I managed to get the nest (with babies) out by accessing the blower through the exterior air intake at the base of the windshield. Try removing the exterior vent covers (and pond filter media, if it's still there) and get a bright flashlight and have a look into the blower. You might find someone staring back at you. :shock:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone done work to the heater core or blowe ever r recently? The fresh air flap is notched around the blower cowling and it the two halve of the heater box gets at all separated, such as not havint it put back together after servicing the fan and heater core, then the flap will jam. there is alot going on in there. I would also check that the actuator rods and cables to the levers are not bent or jammed.

If it will not move at all I would suspect that there is something jamming or interfearing with the movement, as opposed to an animal or something. good luck

·
Registered
104 Posts
rtkracken,
I took off the vents and cranked up my brightest flashlight and saw the fins of the blower and that was about it. No animals, no sticks, nothing. I then popped out the inside front vents and pushed the air vent lever to allow fresh in and was able to squeeze my hand in the vent opening and up into the blower. I could spin it with my finger tips and as I did so, I felt a gap in the fins. As in many were missing in one area and as I spun it a little more another little gap of missing fins. I removed some busted fins pieces that were laying flush on the fascia of the vent opening and not even close to the blower itself. Obviously something got in there to bust those fins out. Probably wouldn't take much. My new theory is that the unbalance of the fin gaps is causing the blower to not spin smoothly but rather oscillate and cause the loud noise and vibrating from the blower. THAT OR there is still something deep inside there that its rubbing on and I just can't see it or feel it. Any thoughts on that?

Is there any way to get to that blower without dismantling the entire dash? Does the top section of the dash where the rectangle dash matt/alarm light is only come off with the lower section of the dash apart? I really don't want to disassemble my dash. eh, eh, nope.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts