RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be the only one with this issue as I could not find anything in the archives. I decided it was time to put Gen II on the rear of my 99 4.6 to match those already on the front. Problem is I cant get them to fit, or more precisely, once fitted, I cant get the air line in.

This shot shows the gen II in place with the partially blocked line inlet.Note that the retaining clip is in place so it is properly seated.
[attachment=3:39ofggv0]IMG_0567 mod.JPG[/attachment:39ofggv0]

This shot shows the stock dunlap and the clearance to the inlet so that the line can be inserted easily:
[attachment=2:39ofggv0]IMG_0569 mod.JPG[/attachment:39ofggv0]

These show some rough measurements between the stock and replacement:
[attachment=1:39ofggv0]IMG_0565 mod.JPG[/attachment:39ofggv0][attachment=0:39ofggv0]IMG_0566 mod.JPG[/attachment:39ofggv0]

Has anyone else with the GEN II had a similar experience. If I want to use them, I think I will have to drill out a channel for the air line or put a couple of 90* bends in the tube. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
Where is the inlet in relation to the clip? (Distance in height) for both?

Is there no movement to push them up to enable you to connect a line? (Once inflated they will be constantly pushed up)
(i wouldn't do the bends, it could send you round them with leaks down line)

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Same situation with many of my customers. I have the problem with 20% of my customers (maybe some are talentuous or there's differences in body airspring mounts)

Talked to Arnott who told me they are aware of the problem with LHD rear.
I found a solution :

1) Depressurize opposite airspring RHD
2) Lift the body one LHD side
3) Secure the upper fitting, and twist the air spring a little to the outer side.

Collet should be in right position now.

Cheers

Flo

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Yes - Well spotted and well photographed. They don't fit and they are a pig to re-seat as well.

That's why I binned my GenII's on the rear. The airline eventually damaged the collet at the top of the airspring and it leaked. I've got a pair of GenII's still on the front but they are due to be binned as the near side one is leaking after only 35k miles.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Once the airpipe inserted in the collet and the airspring pressurized, go over a few bumps and it should clear nicely.
No more leaks
I do not have any problems since 2 years i'm working with Gen3. I have something like 50 P38 in France without any worries.
I did have one rear to replace since it leaked at the metal band.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Like flo said, since the top pin is in, you can pull the bottom outward to push the connection up a bit, then you can get the airline in and pressurize. once the weight of the rover is on it it will seat nicely.

If there is gunk built up in the frame it will be difficult to seat fully by hand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with Flo and Dennis.

Just replaced an Arnott GENII on the left rear this weekend. I secured the top and slowly lowered the rear, twisting the bottom until it seated. Secured the bottom and lowered it the rest of the way.

At this point, the top should be tall enough to insert the airline.

MrAce

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gentlemen, following your advice, I was able to get them on. I still am not getting the clearance I think is needed so I have my fingers crossed to see how long it takes to break or wear thru the air line.

Thanks again.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
eahyatt said:
Thanks gentlemen, following your advice, I was able to get them on. I still am not getting the clearance I think is needed so I have my fingers crossed to see how long it takes to break or wear thru the air line.

Thanks again.
with the weight of the rover on the spring, there should be NO movement there, if your airline wears through at that spot there is something else going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts