RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello--I own an '89 Range Rover Classic, in primo condition. . Two weeks ago, it was stolen from in front of my house. I got it back the next day, but the thieves had driven over a stump and pulled off the rubber fuel neck. I have tried to push it back on, but the rubber neck is so old and cracked, and dry, that I could not get it back on the filler neck and onto the gas tank. I coated the filler line and gas tank opening with grease, but to no avail. The Rover recieved no other damage other than the glove box was destroyed by the f---ing thieves. Anyone have any hints on how to push this rubber neck. It does not appear that anyone has a replacement. I fear that the whole gas tank may have to be dropped. Thanks in advance.

Tom Lovinggood

·
Registered
832 Posts
You could pull the fender / quarter panel... it is easyer than removing the tank...

·
Registered
374 Posts
You could look at rubber softening treatment to bring the hose back to more malleable state.

I beleive in your market it's called "wintergreen " or similar, and used to restore unavailable rubber components that have hardened. More specifically, if you research, Japanese motorcycle forum for the same affect on carburettor intake rubber connection parts.

It's pretty effective if carried out properly and will usually give a much easer install after completion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
London--thanks for the tip--I was able to find a video on You Tube that explained how to use the Wintergreen and Isopropyl Alcohol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RR--Well, your little trick worked. I dunked the rubber fuel neck into a solution of Wintergreen oil and Isopropyl alclhohol for three days and the neck softened up enough to get it back over the fuel tank inlet and over the metal fuel neck, with minimal cursing. Tightened up the hose clamps and I was back in business. Thanks again. The next time I see you, I will buy you a pint!

Tom Lovinggood

1 - 5 of 5 Posts