RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
135k mi.

About a week ago I've noticed a generic "Suspension Fault" message displaying in the cluster. Accompanying this is a warning that the max speed is limited to 30 MPH. No additional detail is given. I can restart and the message clears. This occurs approximately every other time the vehicle is started. I can make a 2 hour trip and it not appear, or I can drive to the grocery store and it pops up in the 3 miles it takes to get there. It can happen at first start (while still in Park), or it can happen at speed.

Sitting still, parking brake on, the message can be triggered 100% reliably by adjusting the suspension to either higher or lower. Most times, it will even successfully completely raise up, evenly, before the message blocks any further adjustments. I parked at work today, clear of errors, and turned the terrain select dial one notch to the right (gravel) and it triggered the Suspension warning. Now, obviously the other times it's thrown the warning, I'm not touching the suspension height adjustment or the terrain dial.

Prior to this, when parked on VERY level ground (foot off brake in Park without E-brake didn't even roll against the pawl) I'd occasionally get a message to "clear obstacle" upon engine start and I'd have to hit the "lower" button a few times to get it to normalize the height. No "suspension error" when this first occurred. The error is more recent.

I've got an appointment tomorrow to have it looked at by my local Euro Motors (they have a small lot of about 20 LR's for sale from 10-20+ years old, figured they knew a little about them :tongue:) are there any tests I can perform myself to gather additional data to help my own knowledge or theirs?

(Cash in-hand ready to swap to coils (+2" OME lift), but no lazy corners or height loss after sitting 3 days. Enlighten me!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
It's impossible to enlighten you without someone pulling fault codes from the car using reputable diagnostic equipment (i.e. not your generic $20 OBD-II scanner from eBay) and performing basic diagnostic based on the fault code/live data received.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
14 Posts
Hey, it sounds like the sensors to me. If it's pumping up, then it doesn't sound like the compressor or the air shocks themselves. What coils are you thinking about going to? I'm considering the same move... -SG

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
17 Posts
I agree that a scan tool might be a good investment. My message was "only normal height available" that was triggered when I wanted to change the suspension height. I changed the dryer attached to the compressor and so far it has been good (knock wood!) Evidently the desiccant can get used up and impede the airflow so the system can't keep up which triggers faults. Took all of sixty bucks (rebuild kits are cheaper) and 30-40 minutes of my time taking out the compressor.
Not saying this is your problem but sometimes it can be a less expensive fix than what you might think.
good luck.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for jumping in and providing input. After bringing it to the local shop, the fault code was read (yes, singular) to indicate an issue with air releasing from the system when either commanded to be lowered, or the system adjusted air in response to terrain or angle.

The compressor was replaced, and I tested several cycles of extended/normal/access heights while in the parking lot of the shop. I have now been driving almost a week since the repair and the error which was reliably a DAILY occurrence is now gone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts