RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I have been a member for a while but can't remember my login details and I've only got my phone! Holiday proving to be a bit of a disaster so far. Broken the rangie, the dog and my camera so far!

Basically my 98 4.6 HSE has started randomly kicking down gears to the point where it's now undrivable.

I'm currently on holiay in Lanarkshire and have a 400 odd mile journey to get home which at this rate will have to be on the back of an AA truck!

It's been suggested that it might be the throttle position sensor. Does that sound likely? If so, is there anything I can do about it?

Alternatively, can anyone recommend a P38 friendly garage near biggar who might be able to help?

Best regards.

Guy

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Could be the TPS as they are known to cause problems, but there are a couple of other things to check.

Firstly, make sure the throttle cable has some play in it and that it isn't tight. Then if that is OK, disconnect the MAF and see what happens whan you take it on a drive.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
We're assuming the worst......oil level in gearbox very low or if the level is ok then oil along with filter hasnt been changed in many blue moons ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Oil level is fine but I have no idea when it was last changed. Fluid and filter change was next on my list but having said that, the fluid looks really good and clear on the dipstick.

I got underneath it yesterday and unplugged everything gearbox related that I could get to and reconnected it. Didn't find anything obvious but having said that, it didn't misbehave once yesterday although it did feel a bit sluggish.

I've got a 450 mile drive to do tomorrow so fingers crossed!

I have a feeling the tps might be a bit iffy though. Is there a standard test for it that I can do when I get home?

I did ring ashcroft and their opinion was that it sounded more like a signal problem than a fault in the gearbox. Any experts got an opinion on this?

I couldn't find any garages in this area that would even look at it! Are garages really that scared by the P38?

Thanks again. I'll let you know how the trip goes tomorrow!

Guy

·
Registered
211 Posts
What's wrong with your dog?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
TheBoss said:
What's wrong with your dog?
Signature worthy right there..... :lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all.

Well we made it back! It started misbehaving straight away but then suddenly stopped doing it after about 20 miles. Very odd.

It is very sluggish though. Does that support the tps theory? I think there is a test for it in rave so I'll have another look tomorrow now I've got my pc and my tools!

As for the dog, she clonked her leg on the very pretty but very high granite hearth in the holiday cottage on the first evening and had been feeling very sorry for herself all week. She's alright now though. Unlike my camera and my rangie!

Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi all

Now I'm back home, I can use my usual account!

I had a look through Rave this morning, but I'm none the wiser about this problem.

I went out earlier and it was doing it pretty much constantly for about 10 minutes and then stopped.

My previous favourite cause was the throttle position sensor but looking at Rave, if that fails it inhibits kickdown altogether. I'm a bit uncertain about just what does tell the box to kick down now. Having said that, one of the bolts holding the tps bracket in place has been sheared off and it looks like the bracket has moved slightly so it's not aligned as it should be...

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's likely to be electrical or an actual gearbox fault? Originally I was getting the gearbox fault occasionally but that hasn't happened for a while now. Not sure if that's significant. I suppose the fault should still be in the gearbox ecu so I could try and get it read I suppose.

It only seems to do it when cruising at a constant speed if that helps narrow it down?

Could really do with some advice on this please!

Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rich998a said:
Did you try driving it with the MAF multiplug disconnected?
I haven't yet but will do this evening. Is that really likely to be a cause? It was a brand new genuine MAF last year and cost a fortune. I'll be very upset if it's gone bad already.

Can you remind me what the procedure is for doing this? I seem to remember that there is a certain way that it has to be done or the car won't start/run at all?

Guy

·
Registered
57 Posts
Random kickdown problems - Fault codes read!

Hi Guys.

I've just had my fault codes read (although it was a bit problematic as apparently I have a corroded pin in the ODB connector).

Gearbox is showing Throttle Angle is Incorrect and fault on solenoid valve 1.

When looking at the live data from the TPS the values seemed to jump quite a bit. Is this what happens with a worn TPS? The chap seemed to think that it might just be down to the slow response time on his Autologic, but it certainly seemed to fit the displayed symptoms - erratic gearchanges. Rave states that a TPS fault will disable kickdown, but this is still working!

He wanted me to book it in to have the wiring checked from the TPS to the gearbox ECU, but surely the two wires only go to the engine ECU? Is there really any value in checking these as I think it will be inconclusive being an intermittent problem...

Can I just replace the sensor myself? Rave states that 'the closed throttle voltage needs to be reset'. Presumably this would need another exorbitantly expensive session on a diagnostic machine? (£53 for 15 mins work!) or can I get away with not doing this?

Finally, should I be worried about the fault on solenoid valve 1 error? Could this be causing my random gearchange problems instead of the TPS?

Garage can't actually do anything for 3 weeks as they're booked solid so I'm open to suggestions!!

Best Regards

Guy

·
Registered
517 Posts
You don't need a Range Rover specific diagnostic tool to check the TPS.
Have a look at the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LiXqy-q ... re=related
This is the one I use. You can set it to read just the one sensor thereby improving the sampling rate giving a smoother, more accurate trace. You can buy cheaper ELM based pc OBD scanners - probably not much more than one one 15 min session at the garage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hmm, that looks quite interesting. I might investigate that. It certainly looks like it will be useful. i wonder if my EAS cable will work with it...?

In the meantime, I've conceded defeat and booked it into a local indy. I can't get it in there until middle of next week though.

I'm slightly concerned about the other gearbox fault now though - Fault on solenoid Valve 1. Can't seem to find out what that bit does though.

Guy

·
Registered
640 Posts
Don't know if this is of any help

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Col,

Thanks for that. Interesting. That suggests that it should be stuck in limp mode and it isn't. Perhaps it was just a transitory fault.... :pray:

Guy

·
Registered
517 Posts
kooky_guy said:
Hmm, that looks quite interesting. I might investigate that. It certainly looks like it will be useful. i wonder if my EAS cable will work with it...?
nope - you need something like this - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=elm+ ... m270.l1313

kooky_guy said:
- Fault on solenoid Valve 1. Can't seem to find out what that bit does though.

Guy
The solenoids open and close the valves that control the flow of ATF in the valve chest ie they are responsible for gear changes or torque converter lock up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
AMcK said:
kooky_guy said:
nope - you need something like this - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=elm+ ... m270.l1313

[quote="kooky_guy":mcoi7kjc]- Fault on solenoid Valve 1. Can't seem to find out what that bit does though.

Guy
The solenoids open and close the valves that control the flow of ATF in the valve chest ie they are responsible for gear changes or torque converter lock up.[/quote:mcoi7kjc]

Thanks for that. I was wondering more specifically precisely what Solenoid Valve 1 does and what the symptoms would be if it was a bit iffy....

Guy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts