RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be at the end with my daughter's 2002 range rover. It lasted all of college and 2 years of grad school, but now it is running incredibly sluggish, the service engine soon light is blinking and when a friend plugged in his code reader, it started with Code 1300, then P0304 then P0307, then P0308, then P0305 and finally P0455. I'm not sure whether this is the end or if it is something reasonable to fix. Can anyone offer me any guidance?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
116 Posts
Hello Toddeboe,

Don't know what code 1300 is. Otherwise, they are cylinder misfires and an evaporative system leak (large).
Have you changed your spark plug wires or coil packs? Order correct? It could be the wires or coil packs are loose. The leak may be your gas cap gasket or a vacuum hose under the hood. Be sure your gas cap seats and ratchets after tightening.

I changed my spark wires and coil packs and got a cylinder misfire. I could not see to screw in the coil packs well. I put a large car washing sponge between the coil packs and firewall. That was more than a year ago. Runs well. Good luck.
Helpful link:
http://obdii.pro/en/code/P0455

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
Many non LR diagnostics will give the wrong codes ie 1300, it sounds like one of the coils has gone down, it can be done in situ, but to be honest it’s easier to remove the coil packs and do it on a bench, most probably quicker as well, 4 x 10 mm bolts ( might be 8mm, I’ve changed all mine ) and it’s out, remove the bonnet stays and lift it all the way back, there’s 2 fold out stays on the hinges, get a torch and your see the bolts, even easier if you take the top plenum off, another 6 bolts.

·
Super Moderator
2,317 Posts
Sounds like one half of each coil has died or is dying. Each coil pack contains 2 separate coils and each coil feeds two cylinders, Pack 1 feeds 5&8 and 2&3 while pack 2 feeds 1&6 and 4&7. You've got misfire codes for 5, 8, 4 and 7 so that is one half of each coil pack. Time for a pair of coil packs and while you are at it, treat it to a set of plugs and HT leads. Well worn plugs or dodgy leads will burn out a coil pack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts