RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i'm a bit of a noob when it comes to understanding the quirks and eccentricities of these range rovers so some help would be very much appreciated.

My car is a 2000 4.0 se ranger rover and its been stuck in park for a few months.
I searched around on the internet for a solution to my problem and found some info stating that sometimes if you have a brake light out it wont let you take the vehicle out of park (some kind of safety issue i guess, not sure if its true or not) i did have a brake like out so i replaced it but it still wouldn't come out of park. Then i read that it could be the brake light switch, my brake lights do work but since its a pretty inexpensive part i just ordered a new one and replaced it. Once again no luck.
So far Ive tried just about every fix Ive been able to find. From checking the shifter knob to make sure it wasn't broken to checking all my various fuses. My shifter knob is fine and i couldn't find a single blown fuse.
I remember that before it wouldn't come out of park there was a clicking sound coming from the right passenger seat (at least thats where i think it was, it was kind of hard to place) when i depressed the brake. Now there is no clicking sound once the brake is depressed. There is a clicking sound coming from the area right behind my steering wheel when i try and pull pack the shifter. There is also a "whurring sound" for about 2 seconds when i press on the brake.
I really have no idea why it wont come out of park and i really need to get this figured out. Not having a car makes everyday life extremely difficult. I dont have to money to take it to a dealership because the closest one is about 70 miles away.
Please, if someone has any input as to how to fix this i would be eternally grateful

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

ETM says:

Selector Interlock
The Gear Selector Lever may only be moved out of
the Park position when the ignition is on and the
brake pedal is depressed. The Shift Lock Solenoid
shall be energised continuously whilst the Ignition is
on and the Gear Selector Lever is in a position other
than Park or Neutral.

For the elctric diagram see pg 94 of the ETM.

This shift interlock is only present on some models and you could just remove the thing. My car doesn't have one but I saw one on a japan spec car. The solenoid might be broken and the pin that is supposed to retract to allow you to move the shifter is kept in place blocking the shifter permanently or there is something wrong with the power supply towards the solenoid.

In the ETM you will see numbers of connectors and with these numbers you can look up the position and photo of the connectors to check if 12 VDC is present the moment the brake is applied and ignition is on.

Good luck

Jos

·
Registered
865 Posts
We dont have the interlocks here, I would do a removal of that darn system if I were you
which will save you hassles as this fault is becoming common

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,421 Posts
We don't have them in Australia, either - at least not on early P38As. Dunno about later ones.

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
There is a little mechanical lock in the gearknob, activated by the little lever under the knob. This can break, but it's easily accesed by taking the gearknob off (just one screw IIRC).

·
Registered
232 Posts
For those doing a search....
Stuck in park, fuse failure 13 among others, possible BECM issue.

The BECM on my 01 RR P38 has been showing fuse failure 12, 13, 14, and 15. No problem with the fuses, no sunroof, tailgate, interior lights, rear door remote unlock or right side front lights.....

All that was missing was the shift interlock not unlocking.
which of course happened

Checked brake light switch and I had brake lights, BUT the RR was stuck in park

The answer was in the workshop manual, Automatic gearbox section, selector lever assembly.
Under step 4 there is a note
North American and Japanese vehicles are fitted with a gear selector interlock mechanism. To move selector lever from "P", activate interlock solenoid manually with a 3mm screwdriver.

With lever in park on the left side of the lever you can see the solenoid pin , push it in with a screwdriver and you can change gear.

Unplugging the white solenoid electrical connector did not improve matters,

To remove solenoid undo 4 allen bolts from top of selector mechanism and cut 2 thin black wires to solenoid and remove.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
476 Posts
There is plastic "sleeve" inside of the selector mechanism which could be broken also. Need to lift whole selector assembly out to check it, this is quite easy to do.
Check electrics first, as stated on above posts then check sleeve.

Mine was broken and first symptom came during road trip when manipulating trailer out of tight park... selector stucks to LO R. Finally it started to move but later it stucks again, at home it stuck completely and vehicle stays at R.
Part is gray plastic sleeve which is operated by selector knob lever, "Escape" mentioned lever. Fix was to replace whole selector assembly.

http://forums.offipalsta.com/picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=57906 Broken sleeve.

http://forums.offipalsta.com/picture.php?albumid=731&pictureid=58513 Serviceable sleeve/selector from junkyard vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts