RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago my '96 4.6HSE started to give me headaches.
First it quit on me coming from the highway and driving 80 km/h uphill ,it gave an alarm and the dashboard told me i had a broken transmission so i immediately pulled over (albeit with a irraticly running engine even when in neutral) and when i almost stood still the engine quit on me . :crybaby2: .
I had to walk the last mile to work and when i came back 4 hours later it started without a hitch and ran fine .
When i got out of work i drove home and everything seemed fine till i got in town and it started stalling again right in the midlle of a crossroad 8-0= .
When it cooled down again (about 30min later) it ran fine again and i got home from my nightshift feelin pretty beat.
Since then i changed the transmission oil and filter and the old stuff that came out was slightly hazy but otherwise fine(no burnt oil smell or fine metal particles in it),it was probably overdue for a change ,and also took out the maf sensor and spray cleaned it with airintake and carburateur cleaner together with the o2 sensor , however this did not make the problem go away.
It runs fine when its cold but when it gets warm (after about 15 min) the engine starts acting up and it stalls .
I think my maf or o2 sensor is shot but i'm not sure since my tranny's ecu is also due for replacement cause it told me since i bought it to put it in neutral but runs fine and the previous owner ran like this for quite a while without a hitch. :?:
I'm open to any and all suggestions that could help me further in sorting out the problem and greatly appreciate your help.

Greetings Dinkyboy.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Your problem with rough/cutting out engine is pointing to bad HT leads.
On these motors you need to make sure you install the correct spark plugs which are Champion RN11YCC I've tried lots of different types and the originals still perform better in power and fuel consumption.

HT leads breakdown with age and heat, here again OEM work best.
I have tried the Britpart supplied ones and they work well and they tell me they are OEM supply stock and at a much better price

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
148 Posts
You haven't washed the engine down in the last few days have you? That can cause some weird things to happen like erratic idling and engine cutting out. Happened to mine once and in the hurried process of starting it I flooded the engine. After a few more days the moisture dried out and it was right as rain again..

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
dinkyboy said:
,it gave an alarm and the dashboard told me i had a broken transmission
A broken transmission? I've never seen that message listed in the handbook.

Or was it a gearbox fault?

The reasons for those can be soemthing as simple as the engine cutting out whilst still in gear and thus losing output from the alternator. It will go into limp home mode but will reset after being switched off for a short period.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late response but i've been crazy busy so... Thanks for the response people ,i really appreciate it.
viperover ,I'm gonna change the sparkplugs for sure but i wonder if theres a way to test the ht leads with a multimeter :?: or should i just try them the oldfashioned way and wait for the car to start running rough and touch the leads one by one till i get that tingling feeling ;) .btw thanks for the link, good info on that site also :thumb:
8846andy i think the coolant sensor is fine cause the displaygauge gives normal readings and it doesn't show irratic behaviour.
shadow keeper ,i haven't hosed my engine down and it didn't get wet so...
Mr beckett it could well be a case of lost in translation because in dutch it said "versnellingsbak defect" wich roughly translates as defective gearbox so it was probably gearbox fault in english .
Tomorrow i'm gonna change the battery cause the display just told me when i wanted to start my batterylevel was low and when i measured it only gave 12 volts so it's time for a new one even though the indicator on the battery says it's ok :snooty: and the engine does start.
I'll keep you posted and greetings from holland.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
dinkyboy said:
Mr beckett it could well be a case of lost in translation because in dutch it said "versnellingsbak defect" wich roughly translates as defective gearbox so it was probably gearbox fault in english .
Aha! Yes, you're probably right.

I suggest to change your profile to show your location (at least your country) as helps us help you.

Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well everybody, i changed the battery and it measures out 12.7 V but after about 15 mins. the engine starts running roughly doesn't get above 2000 rpm and a few mins. later it stalls and won't start no more :crybaby2: . untill it cools down and then it runs fine :!: .
As i said i already cleaned my maf and O2 sensor and my spark plug cables don't tingle when i touch them(at idle or higher rpm's) so i'm kind of lost in the woods now :oops:
If there's any wizard 8-|= with an idea about what the hecks goin on please let me know.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha got it :dance: ,after reading up on the forum i put in a fresh crankshaft position sensor and its running even smoother then before :D .
Thanks everyone for all the pointers you gave :clap: ,definitely helps in narrowing the search area.
greets from holland and happy cruisin'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts