RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - this is my first time here. I have an '84 4d Classic (sitting marooned in the floods in the bush in Kenya). At some stage it had an engine swap, the original V8 for a diesel from an '87 classic. The part I am trying to identify is a short shaft from the rear of the gear box that connects with the propshaft as it has sheared and I am trying to find a replacement before returning to Kenya in a few days. Grateful for any help!

sheared RR gearbox shaft.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
So this is a differential pinion shaft and somebody has overtorqued the nut. Depending on the year model the diffs come in two ratio's 4.7:1 and 3.54:1, obviously you would need to know which type is fitted. you also have a very course spline, most are finer and you need to make sure you have the matching drive coupling. Finally some designs have a crush washer while others use spacers.

However in general changing one side of the gear set is not recommended and likely to result in a lot of noise.

The preferred solution here is to source a new diff (4.7 or 3.54) the diffs have not changed over years and are all interchangeable so they are easy to source and cheap to get (but heavy to transport). One more consideration is that if your diff pan does not have a filler point you want to make sure the diff has the filler point, most later ones done and without you will have a hard time filling it (can be filled with wheel draft shaft removed)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you - is there any way (without having it in hand) that I can tell whether this is a 4.7:1 or 3.54:1 ratio? and what the spline type is? or I am I just better in sourcing a rebuilt diff?

·
Registered
295 Posts
My parts book states only one type of pinion shaft (surprise), but the partnumber is for a pair (pinion and grown gear) 594493. There is a note stateing that it can be either BSF (early) or UNF (late).

Personally I would get a good diff, will be cheaper and the installation of a shaft alone could cause all sorts of trouble.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you guys are mistaken, he said the shaft is from the rear of the GEARBOX and if my memory serves me well he really means the rear of the Centre Differential as the gearbox and centre diff are bolted together. That would make it a Centre Differential Rear Output Shaft.

Hope that helps.
Norm.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Ok I did not expect there to be a hypoid gear in there. I have only taken Series transfer boxes apart which don't have centre diffs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - this is a pic I found on the web of what I think is the same assembly that is broken on mine Diff output flange.png , with a diff. output flange on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you - that makes sense but googling it doesn't come up with anything, but this looks similar to how it should be I think, but with many less splines... Diff output flange.png

·
Registered
47 Posts
That looks to me like the rear diff. The rear diff and the gearbox are two very different items several feet apart from eachother. Talking about one and showing pictures of the other just makes it confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mistake, I am not a mechanic. Just hoped that someone here might be able to help and the flange looks the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts