RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious? Please read on.... I need a piston for a 2006 4.2 Supercharged engine for an L322 (part number LR002439). I am in Malaysia and I normally get my parts from the UK but Land Rover UK do not have this part in stock; it's on "back order" with no date. After two days (and late nights) on the phone and internet I am now convinced that this part is not in stock anywhere in the world - except for the USA (hooray!!!) where two separate LR dealers have told me they can get it from the US warehouse in two days! The problem is, they are main dealerships who sell locally and over the counter and definitely not internationally (especially to a British guy with a weird accent (from up north) calling from the wrong country). Is there anybody out there who would be prepared to order and get this part for me and then drop it off at Fedex so we can get this car back on the road? I have really enjoyed looking at the insides of this lovely engine and poking around but it really needs to be put back together again. I can pre-pay all the costs and something for your time and trouble with PayPal, I just need the footwork because if I had to do the footwork myself I would end up with very sore feet! (why Land Rover didn't order enough of the thing in the first place is still puzzling me).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Re: Help Needed to get a Part That is Only in Stock in the USA!

Ahh, so it's not just me that could never get any sense out of the US for parts? Like you, Brit, northern accent, lives in Manila = no chance!

Whereabouts in KL are you? I lived at the top of Changkat Bukit Bintang (where all the bars are) up until last year.

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are several on here from the KL area. Ecco and Darthdude are two that I know of.

I've spent time there. Caught malaria at Pedu.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I am in Bukit Damansara - just outside the centre : )

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Just Googled the part number and there are a couple of UK suppliers who list it. Both appear to have, or can get, stock too:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-LR002439

http://www.totalparts.co.uk/land-rover/lr002439-piston-pin-and-ring-assy-supplier-land-rover.html

and maybe http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/335278/5497/piston

Give them a try to see if they have, or can get, you one. Rimmers do an awful lot of bits for export so sending you one wouldn't be a problem although I've no experience of the others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This part is on back order at Land Rover UK so none of these UK suppliers can get it. As I said, the only place in the world that it is available in in the US dealers' warehouse - hence my post.

·
Banned
3,952 Posts

Have you tried Ford? The engine is a Ford/Jaguar unit used in quite a few other cars and not just the Range Rover.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I thought of the Ford/Jaguar connection but my research has led me to believe that the unit was modified by Land Rover from the original Jaguar unit in several areas which may or may not have included the pistons. Since then, Land Rover have superceded the part number twice so the piston itself may have been modified. It might be the same size but any profile or material changes may render it unbalanced with the other pistons in the block. Too much of a risk I thought. I have been speaking to Rovers North and I am hopeful I can get this now but I am waiting for them to confirm.

·
Registered
669 Posts

Used to do that for parts for the Porsche 912. It had many parts also used on the VW only half the price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts

Baloney999 where in the US did you find the part? I am in or close enough to Houston, Texas...

·
Registered
325 Posts

Sounds like some good sleuthing to turn one up. Lets hope they come across

I am in Bukit Damansara - just outside the centre : )
Yup, know it. The company I used to work for had their office at Mont' Kiara just up the road. Used to go into The Bulldog and Backyard every now and again after work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Rovers North (Buck) have been very helpful with being able to source the part and with valuable advice. I was unsure of what 'Grade' piston to get so I chose Grade 1 thinking that the Grade 2 and 3 were just a different way of denoting over-size, wrong!!! The Grade has to match the markings on the block and the bearings but it was very difficult to find an adequate explanation of this (the parts people at Land Rover UK didn't have a clue!). Eventually I discovered that the markings *22222222* stamped at the side of the engine number meant that the pistons were grade 2. As this search was for a grade 1 piston I went back to the beginning and searched for grade 2 - these are in stock at Land Rover UK and are available through my usual supplier - panic over. Thanks for the helpful comments.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts