RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Range Rover, 4.0SE, 120k miles
Drove 500 miles in the first day without any problem, but the next morning, it doesn't want to move.

There is no forward drive when I put the shaft on D, 1, 2 ,3. Even did not hear any engage noise, it acts just like in N.
Floor the gas, still no movement.But the gear number display normally on the dashboard.

When I put the selector shaft on R, the car doesn't move at low RPM. With high RPM, it will reverse.

"Gearbox fault" warning light on.

What should I do? AAmco asked $1500 just to open the transmission for a check. They said it maybe a clutch issue. But I think it is not a mechanical failure.
I searched a lot online, if the first gear clutch is blown, the car should go into limp mode and will still be drivable, but actually it doesn't.

Could be the xyz switch problem? or the ECU?

Thanks for any clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Help needed on transmission failure: no forward, onlyreverse

forgot to say, the tranny fluid looks not bad, and the fluid level is also as normal.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts

My 2000 had the same issue here is a secret don't ell anyone OK! remove the low high shift motor if it has trans fluid in it, there is your issue. Whats happens sometimes is that the seal to the shift motor fails and the shift motor gets wet inside and then shorts out the trans. ECU. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, Scotty.
I don't have much repairing experience. It is even difficult for me to figure out where the shift motor is. Do you have any pictures that I can follow?
I maybe need to ask my friend for help. AAmco asked $1500 only for a check.

Scotty said:
My 2000 had the same issue here is a secret don't ell anyone OK! remove the low high shift motor if it has trans fluid in it, there is your issue. Whats happens sometimes is that the seal to the shift motor fails and the shift motor gets wet inside and then shorts out the trans. ECU. Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Scotty said:
Do you mean the transfer case is not engaged? Here are some updatings.

I put the shifter on "P", and lift one of the rear wheels off ground.
Then release the hand brake.
I try to turn the rear wheel but it does not rotate. I can see that the transfer case is still engaged.
Does that mean that the transfer case is good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts