RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm looking at upgrading(?) from my P38 to a L322 2004 version (well that's when) the VIN says it was built, The model is a Japanese version imported into New Zealand some time ago so don't know if a previous owner has fettled with it. However after reading all the stuff about the navi system and how I really need the BMW version 4 DVD unit I managed to get a photo of the unit (see below) which states it is a DVD Navigation System II, No green oval or anything.
Can anyone help in identifying which piece of equipment is installed, unfortunately as I haven't bought it yet I don't have access to the screen etc to check the version that way. All help appreciated
20180811_103444.jpg

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
There are many existing write ups on the "Mark III" nav upgrade. The MarkIII was a huge upgrade for folks a J.A.M.E.S and Karin P38 nav systems.

Then BMW upgraded to the "Mark IV" system that you have chosen. The Mark IV is compatible with first gen 2002-2004 L322s. On both systems you start with the BMW disc, then you hack the firmware and change to an LR logo. There are threads and links on that as well.

I've not heard of anyone upgrading a P38 to the MarkIV BMW system. Not saying it hasn't been done but the wiring is very different between the two.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
I spent good money on the MkIV "upgrade". Money I'll never get back.....
You're MUCH better off getting a Garmin etc for when you need it.

Martin

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI, Not upgrading the P38 (it's served me well and after a few hiccups after buying it has operated faultlessly) just upgrading the whole vehicle to a slightly newer model but couldn't work out which system was fitted in the vehicle of choice. Assume from your comments it's a Mk IV under a different guise?
Already have a Navman for the P38 which I'll move across especially if I can't get the current system to play nicely
Many thanks for your help

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Well your signature has a P38 listed and your topic is identifying a nav computer from 2004. Totally missed your were upgrading Rovers not nav systems.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I am not familiar with the unit you have. The ones for the USA are not labeled in that manner. It is DVD based so it should be a MKIV, the MKIII was CD based. As a such you should be able to get some maps, but I think the newest ones will be 3-4 years old.

It may be better to just upgrade the head unit so you can add back up camera, regularly updated maps that are affordable, blue tooth and other items without having to buy modules. Plus the screen will start to fail as it has been on for 13 plus years and possibly the DVD laser. My screen started to fail and I had to do some surgery and order a new screen out of China.

I wish I went the new head unit route, that was $500 ago.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Another observation, your DVD player and surrounding area does not look like how the one in my 2004 L322 appears, nor any of the BMW based units look that I have seen.

Can you post a picture of your head unit - the unit on the dash? You may have a newer unit - not BMW based.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kg 74,
As explained, haven't bought it yet, just doing some background checks etc. to find out what the expenses might be and any other problems, so can't get to the head unit. Also don't know if it was upgraded in Japan or when it arrived in NZ.
Thanks for your help though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Isn’t that a Denso sat nav from the newer touch screen stereo system???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Very well could be Shewy. Ford changed over to Denso units for the 2005 model year.

·
Registered
346 Posts
After submitting my first response I looked again at the picture and thought that could be a 2005 or newer unit. Having never seen the DVD unit - only the head unit - I sent a followup.

Captain Pugwash - have the seller send you a picture of the dash. Post that and you will get your answers.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Folks
Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated.
The VIN indicates it was built in 2004 which could mean it was a 2005 model when first sold in Japan.
Don't know about touch screen though as when shown the system the lower right hand knob was turned to change between options on the screen
I'm probably going to get the beast next week anyway, so will be able to post a picture and more information then

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The photo in the opening post is the DVD Nav unit in the rear left hand side of a 2004 built L322 imported into New Zealand from Japan that I'm thinking of purchasing, and then I'll have to sell my much loved P38.
Looks like its a Denso unit but whether it works or not I don't know as the guy I'm getting it from does not have any discs etc for the unit. Don't know if it will be viable to use or whether I'll need to get a new head unit with all the bells and whistles and fit that.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
If you can take a picture of the nav unit then pull the part/ model number and look it up so you know what your are dealing with.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts