RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have just rebuilt the valve block for my 1998 P38, replaced all o-rings and diaphragm, all tested and no leaks, pumps up to full pressure without problems. My problem is now the vehicle raises itself to extended height even when the valve body is disconnected from the wiring loom.
I inflate the system to full pressure, set the suspension to access level using the dash controls, turn off the ignition then disconnect the wiring loom from the valve body and after 3 to 4 hours vehicle rises to full height. This rules out anything to do with an electrical fault or computer fault.
I have a pressure gauge and manual pump up valves fitted, so I am able to monitor the pressure left in the system, and the pressure seems to level itself so all has about 65 - 70 psi left in the system after an over night sit.
I have tried every thing i can think off and read all the relevant posts I can find.
Thanks in advance.
Rovermateaus

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sounds like one of the solenoids is playing up, I’m sure the eas experts will chip in soon.
i used to rebuild my valve blocks with no problems, until the last one which put the front on high, back on bump stops, then a huge pssshhh as it blew air out the exhaust, sent it to a guy here who only does eas, 30 quid well spent.

·
Registered
566 Posts
You must have internal leaks inside the valve block. If the electrical connections are disconnected, then the only way air can get from tank to air-bags is via the Inlet & Corner valves. Either the seals are not working, or the solenoid springs are weak.

Did you use the good black nitrile or crappy orange seals ?

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Hadn't thought about the possibility of the orange O rings but I suspect that is the problem. As pwood says, for air to get from the tank to each corner, you'd need a leaking inlet solenoid and all four corner solenoids leaking too. If it was just one corner you could put it down to a couple of nipped O rings but not for it to rise on all 4 corners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input.
Unfortunately the red-orange ones, I have since replaced these with new black ones. Still have LH front one leaking down. I have setup a bench test out of car using an old gas bottle as an air reservoir & spare pump to inflate tank & valve body, no loss of air after 24 hrs, but will slowly leak air out the exhaust port if air is connected to LH wheel port ? Strange things these valve blocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts