RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP ME: Trying to get back to RR 4.6 Vitesse "Heaven"!!

Hey guys; I have 1997 RangeRover 4.6 HSE with 152000 miles.Just had head gaskets done as well as Most all of ignition components. New brakes,New ABS pump, prior coil spring 'conversion. Basically i have poured lots of $$$$ to get my Red 4.6 HSE back to her original Glory. But still have (1) Issue and (1) general question for my fellow forums members.

I NO longer have any "check engine" faults showing; BUT have Not been able to figure out 'SRS' light with the 'airbag fault' in the message center. I have cleaned and checked connector under driver seat(But could Not locate a like connector under Passenger seat). This issue is keeping me from having NO 'warnings/lights' in dash and message center. I need Your help/advise/suggestions Please....
My "question" is ; when travelling at 70 miles p/h.....my rpm is exactly 2500. Is this correct/accurate for that speed. I seek to get Big Red in prime running condition . Since gas milage sucks i at least am trying to get optimum performance . Am i close to benchmark????? THANKS in advance to ALL............Kevin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
193 Posts
Re: HELP ME: Trying to get back to RR 4.6 Vitesse "Heaven"!!

Without taking mine out for a spin right now (and don't remember exactly), I think mine is just about dead on 2500 rpms @ 70 mph as well

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts

2500rpm @ 70mph is correct, there is actually not really a margin for error there. At constant speed and above 40-something, the torqueconverter should lock up (unless the gearbox hasn't reached operating temperature yet) which means there is no more slip in the driveline and speed and rpm are directly linked.
You can often see the effect of the lock-up as the revs drop a few 100 when it happens.

As for the airbag, I'd try searching for the connector under the passenger seat. I may be disconnected/removed, causing the error.

Greetz,

Filip

PS: got any pics? ;)

·
Registered
405 Posts

I've had the airbag fault message for the entire summer, and never thought to check for the connector under the seat... :oops:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
163 Posts

Moving the seat forwards and backwards clear mine, but not fiddling with the connector - manager at the main dealer even say's nothing works quite as well as playing with the seat position! Bizarre but true. But fault will only clear if you turn off key and then back on.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

SRS faults, at least on mine, will NOT reset themselves like the HVAC ones do. This means that a fault that has been corrected will still illuminate the SRS light until it is reset via Rovacom, Faultmate, etc. Prime example is when I just did my heater core and had the airbag from the front in the back seat! When I tested the new heater core to check for correct operation and leaks I had the Rangey running to get up to temp. The airbag was still in the backseat :lol:
I had to read and clear the fault with my Faultmate to get the light to go out, even after the airbag and dash were completely finished and hooked up.
Basically, you could have fixed the problem on the first try, but will not tell (at least with mine) until the stored codes have been cleared. Just didnt want you chasing your tail trying to find a fault that is not there... :thumb:

Martin

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts

Escape said:
As for the airbag, I'd try searching for the connector under the passenger seat. I may be disconnected/removed, causing the error.
There is no SRS connectors under the seats on a 1997 as there are no side air bags.

EAS error do not reset themselves like soft faults on EAS. You will need to have the code checked and cleared via Testbook or similar.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

rrtoadhall said:
Escape said:
There is no SRS connectors under the seats on a 1997 as there are no side air bags.

EAS error do not reset themselves like soft faults on EAS. You will need to have the code checked and cleared via Testbook or similar.
copycat.... :lol:

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts

leftlanetruckin said:
rrtoadhall said:
Escape said:

copycat.... :lol:
ouch. I didn't even see your post. I hope your toes are okay. `)

·
Registered
517 Posts

Has the the steering wheel been removed at all? You can damage the rotary coupling causing the fault light if not careful re-installed.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts

Luckily I had my steel toe shoes on Carl, due to working in the shop today mate :thumb:
I still say the OP should have the codes read and reset to see if he is chasing ghosts from SRS past or not :wink:
Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts