RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car info: P38 4.6 V8 HSE MY 2000 - KM: 175.000

Still have the most irritating vibration in driveline.... just had the wheels rebalanced - only helped a tiny bit.... Vibration around 90 km/h - 130 km/h.
Have checked under the car - U-joints feels ok - flexplate was checked some months ago - seemed to be fine according to the garage.....
Changed oil in front diff, autobox (+ filter) and transfer box yesterday - everything looked ok, but better safe than sorry... No loose bushes or bolts etc.

The passengerseat is vibrating constantly at speeds above 90 km/h...... The garage said this morning that maybe the converter is "out of alingment" and needs to be changed for a new one....

I have been wondering whether a u-joint could cause this vibration - I have just ordered an original new rear propshaft with U-joints for about 50 british pounds... seemed a good price - and if this could be the problem... why not try it out....

read that someone had turned their flexplate 180 degrees - is that worth a try? I'm really pulling my hair now (and there's not a lot to start with so any help is more than welcome!!!

Ferdinand :crybaby2: :pray: :(

·
Registered
457 Posts
Re: Help me if you can.. I'm feeling vibrations while driving

Check your front hub swivel ball joints too, the large top and bottom joints for play. Lift the vehicle slightly so you can get a pry bar under the wheel and jiggle it up and down, look for play in the joints.
My drivers side ones are gone and are due to be replaced at the end of the month, I get a vibration at higher speeds and when braking from 60mph and above too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Took the car to a garage today - and the mechanic said that at around 3500 - 4000 rpm the engine has a vibration - and also a slight reduction in power when acceleration from 140 km/h - 170 km/h.
The vibration in the drive line is also still there.... D...!
As for the engine vibration it could be the camshaft - in other words - get a new one!- and the driveline vibration could be the converter - same solution - get a new one....

There's nothing like bad news!!!

Anyway all oils have now been changed - tomorrow I'll take a look at the spark plugs and grease the propshafts....

This weekend I'll change the waterpump..... and might have a look at some bushes in the undercarriage - have a set of polybushes that I'm going to install at some point...

·
Registered
640 Posts

Ferdinand said:
and the mechanic said that at around 3500 - 4000 rpm the engine has a vibration -
I know a year 2000 truck will not be in this Vin No. Range but may be a indication of problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hi Col,

Well I guess this was checked some months ago - at least that is what they said... and I paid for it..... GRRRRR

I checked the front hub swivel ball joints some time ago when I changed wheels (winter/summer).
I'm afraid it's not going to be cheap this time....

New camshaft, lifters and possible a new torque converter and flexplate..... money money....

Oh Lord won't you buy me (anything but) a Mercedes Benz.....

·
Registered
701 Posts

Has the mechanic put it on a lift to listen and feel for the vibration in certain areas while the vehicle's wheels get up to speed?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hi Lrscott,

No - only tested on open road...
The mechanic said that I should test the viscous clutch for the fan by taking of the drivebelt....a rew the engine for a brief moment up to 3500 rpm - and feel/listen for the any vibration.... will do tomorrow...

the power loss should apparantly be because of wear to the cam - and is quite noticeable..... feels like a 4.0 at the moment..... I'm wondering about fuel starvation

I'm lost for ideas right now.... maybe it's time to find another car.... hell no! I love the Rangie to bits - and if the old brit needs a bit of rejuvination - so be it!

Makes me feel like saying just like Jeremy Clarkson: " I want more power!".

·
Registered
276 Posts

Checking the viscous fan is a good idea!

Some weeks ago the metal part of my fan began falling apart, I replaced it, some time later I started getting a rumbling noise, until today I thought I had bad wheel bearings/cv joints.

Today I wiggled the fan around and noticed the bearings of the recently replaced water pump are shot :? and make a rumbling noise at certain revs (around 1100).

Sigi

·
Registered
517 Posts

These guys - http://www.jpat.co.uk/ will supply reconditioned converters for a lot less than a new one. I am planning on using them for doing my MB's converter at some time in the near future.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Is it only doing this at a specific speed or at a specific RPM? That will narrow things down a bit if you can determine what causes it exactly.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The vibration from the engine is felt at rpm's around 3500 - 4000.... and the "vibes" in the TC is felt in the cabin (passenger seat has become a "rocking chair" at speeds above 90 km/h - on my way home today i was wondering.... the seat vibes are worse if I have been driving very fast in the past drive - then the shakes are really bad.....
But if I drive like an old f... the shakes are not as bad - but still they appear at 90 km/h....

The lack of power is felt on the motorway - when driving at speeds above 150.... the car has become significantly slower than it used be ( and that really annoys me!!!!) So that is also a reason I want to find out what is wrong.

will try the belt removal later today - but now I need a couple of hours of sleep since work awaits in 6 hours - last thought before lalaland why is that the fan really roars loudly for 30 secs when I start the car "cold" - also during winter....

·
Registered
276 Posts

The fan roaring after startup is normal, the fluid in the clutch isn't distributed evenly when the car has sat for some time and causes it to lock.

Sigi

·
Registered
701 Posts

The fan roaring after startup is normal, the fluid in the clutch isn't distributed evenly when the car has sat for some time and causes it to lock.
Always love getting nasty looks from the golfers in my neighborhood as I roar past them while the fluid is getting distributed :) .

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

lrscott said:
Always love getting nasty looks from the golfers in my neighborhood as I roar past them while the fluid is getting distributed :) .
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: I thank the almighty above that i've have never provoced anyone like that......................ish! In 1. or2. gear in town - and then you bury the accelerator just as you pass someone.... now that's good fun :naughty: :naughty:

I'll try to rew it without the belt today - and also with belt on but without the VC-unit - The mechanic also said sometimes the lower wheel for the belt could come out of alingment due to wear of the rubber inside the wheel and this could also cause vibrations..... and then he told me that he had changed a camshaft just 2 weeks ago on a similar car.... (GRRRRRR) don't like that thought....
Also check sparkplugs, change waterpump this weekend - how about the timing chain gear - has anyone one of you changed that? I have it - just in case - along the gasket for that and the oilpan...

Now better do some of the things that my employer actually pays me for - working....(boring!!!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So I took the VC and fan of and tried to rew it up to 4000 rpm - engine vibration..... then took the belt of..... engine vibration..... Dooh
So I guess the mechanis was right something is shot and needs to be fixed....

The waterpump is in need of immediate attention - so I'll change that tomorrow - and start saving up for a big repair.... dooh!

·
Registered
896 Posts

Keep us posted.

I am having a vibration in what I believe to be my driveline for the past week or so. It just started and is present between 60 and 70 mph, which is right where I drive on the freeway. Above 70 or below 60, it is smooth. The steering wheel does not shake but I feel it near my feet or middle of the truck. 2Chassis has 93k miles, engine 70k miles (replaced by LR after they drove it without coolant accoriding to previous owner and documentation), EAS intact, no oil/fluid leaks.

I have new tires (less than 3000 miles) and lubed the driveline 2000 miles ago. This morning, I relubed the driveline (u-joints and driveshafts) but the vibration is still present. I read some nasty reports of u-joint failures. I am planning on taking it back to the tire shop to get rebalance and rotation to see if it helps. Tranny filter/fluid changed 1000 miles ago. Still need to change diff fluid and transfer case oil. Mine is a 2001 but I will check the VIN based on that service notice as well as VC.

I am surprised to hear you troubles may be internal engine balancing issues. Very interesting.... let us know what how it goes...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hi Spikemd

When I read your post - it made me think that if I drove your car and vice versa - we would probably experience the excact same experience/vibrations - funny that you mentioned your feet - because the other day I felt something in the accelerator - but said to myself that now I was being paranoid...

My mechanic at the "local" LR garage 30 miles from here gave all the info and hints I've described above - and now I have tried them all - with negative result unfortunately. GRRRRR!

I don't quite understand why something should happen to the camshaft in all of a sudden - My drivingpattern hasn't changed - oilchanges are carried out as regularly - the cars has a petrolpowered preheater which I use all year round so it's never started "cold". But maybe the parts don't last longer (the mechanic said tthat it was quite normal for a P38 to wear out cams at around 150.000-200.000 km.

ANYWAY - the waterpump was changed today - did some cleaning in the engine bay as well - I had the cars rust proofing redone a couple of months and the guy that did the ago had been just a bit to eager - plastic was also covered - but that's all taken care of now...
Wanted to change the belt now that I had removed the old one - but the 2 I got from P38spares.co.uk 6 months ago are too short GRRRRRRRR - that 3 things now (the first one is an IAC-unit for en GEMS P38 GRRRRRRR). (need I say that I gave them the VIN-number and full describtion of the car as I ordered the parts needed).

Tomorrow I'll grease the U-joints/propshafts and give the car a good wash and a polish/waxing and tidy it up inside before autumn/winter... BRRRR

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts

I'll through another spanner in the works here...

Engine vibration can be caused by a number of items, apart from worn cam which the 4,6 is not known to do as is the case with the 3.5 and this seems to have been passed on for some odd reason.

Crank shaft pulley is a vibration damper and is a failure point.
Torque converters aslso go out of balance
Worn mains on the crank can cause vibrations and repalcing them in situ is easily done
Camshaft timing chains do stretch and replacement makes a wonderful difference and is best done when replacing the mains and big end bearings as the front timing cover has to come off to remove the front cross bolts

This problem with the rocking seat and vibration from the engine is a very common problem on the P38s

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Hi Viperover

Qoute:
"Crank shaft pulley is a vibration damper and is a failure point.
Torque converters aslso go out of balance
Worn mains on the crank can cause vibrations and repalcing them in situ is easily done
Camshaft timing chains do stretch and replacement makes a wonderful difference and is best done when replacing the mains and big end bearings as the front timing cover has to come off to remove the front cross bolts".
Quote end.

So where would you start?
The mechanic told me that he had changed a cam just 3 weeks ago - I must admit that all this info if starting to confuse me - why do I experience powerloss??

Have you experienced any this yourself?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts

Im assuming cam chain was replaced when he replaced cam shaft...

As per a previous post I would check flex plate and bolts and can easily be inspected through the two holes located on either side of the sump to bell housing assembly.

As you have a 2000 model what km;s has vehicle covered, did mac double check that he replaced with correct cam, the 4.0 and 4.6 use different cams but not sure what the effects are if the wrong one is installed, after the cam install was it worse or abit better...

I've also heard that engine mounts on early models get hard with age and can throw the same symtoms, may or may not be related

Recheck engine mounting bolts to gearbox

For power loss I would be investigating correct spark plugs and HT leads, both are very critical to correct engine performance due to the ignition setup on these vehicles

1 - 20 of 36 Posts