Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 RR Sport Supercharged w/ 150,000 Miles. I have this rattle that has developed on the drivers side. I can't pin point where it's coming from. I used a hose and a screw driver, with no luck. I squirted some WD40 on the front of the pulleys with no luck. I tried moving the fan around to see if it's loose, but it felt solid. Thought maybe it was the waterpump. It's only on the drivers side. Almost sounds like it's under the valve cover, but can't be for certain. Last oil change was done 1,000 miles ago.

Help!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's constant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJ1iqOpf4g

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
71 Posts
While purely a guess, that really sounds like your timing chain is causing the noise. Could also be the variable valve timing adjusters. Pretty nasty sound for sure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what would cause the timing chain to make that noise just on the drivers side? Thanks for responding!

I have no idea how long it's been doing this. You can't hear it inside the cabin and I had just so happened to roll the window down the other day and noticed it. Could have been doing it all winter for all I know.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
517 Posts
Ok so what i have to say may be way off in left field but it sounds like a Honda problem I watched on YouTube about runner flaps in the intake manifold that are causing a knocking or ticking noise. Heck, I don't even know if the Jag engine even has these. But once the guy removed them the noise was gone. From what I can figure these valves are like an appendix... When working fine never know it is there but when it goes bad remove it and no more problems. Really need an expert but my $.01

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gRXRMHl34Ho

'06 RRS LUX
'06 pilot EXL
'91 4runner

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 2007 RR Sport Supercharged w/ 150,000 Miles. I have this rattle that has developed on the drivers side. I can't pin point where it's coming from. I used a hose and a screw driver, with no luck. I squirted some WD40 on the front of the pulleys with no luck. I tried moving the fan around to see if it's loose, but it felt solid. Thought maybe it was the waterpump. It's only on the drivers side. Almost sounds like it's under the valve cover, but can't be for certain. Last oil change was done 1,000 miles ago.

Help!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? It's constant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJ1iqOpf4g
You have 150k on the clock, so without knowing your service history, I would recommend checking the drive belt, tensioners, and pulleys. Have a garage use a stethoscope to isolate where it is coming from. I just went through this with my rig. If that doesn't seem to be the problem, my guess would be failing timing chain tensioners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dropped it off at the shop last night. I spoke with him this morning to bring up the timing chain tensioner. They looked at it last night and believed that it's the AC Compressor that's making the noise, but will let me know for sure this morning. He did however say that if it is the AC Compressor, it's going to be a expensive job. Does that sound correct? I think he said 1400 just for the compressor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I went down there. They removed the serp belt and started it for a second and the noise was gone. It's definitely the AC Compressor. Does anyone know how hard of a DIY that is? Especially someone with banana fingers. :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
Even if you do it yourself you have to take it back in to ahve them vacuum and charge the system and if there's any leaks they are going to open it back up to fix the problem. Get some prices on a new compressor and then calculate their labor and decide if it's worth it.

·
Registered
2013 Range Rover Sport
71 Posts
Ok, I went down there. They removed the serp belt and started it for a second and the noise was gone. It's definitely the AC Compressor. Does anyone know how hard of a DIY that is? Especially someone with banana fingers. :)
That's good news... and much better than a timing chain or VVT issue :)!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts