RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and hope someone could help. I have a problem with my 1997 4.6 HSE RR. When i select low gear I hear a clunk sound from below the vehicle, and cannot engage low gear! Can anyone shed any light on what the problem may be and if it can be rectified without taking it to a garage?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
320 Posts
Hi, I feel sorry for your problems, don't panic, there's a massive amount of information available here or on the main site under Problems & fixes.

I am not an expert but there's probably a problem with the motor / gears that select Low Range, if you look under the car you can easily find the Low Range motor on the transfercase (about the size of a can of soup. :) ).

You can find a lot of posts if you try the search page and put "+low +range" in the search box (the +-ses indicate both words must be found), undoubtedly someone has been through your ordeal before.

Also, try to find the .iso images of the RAVE technical manual and a program called deamontools to use them. It's invaluable.

At last, someone will tell you shortly you'll have to fill in your location in your profile. 8)

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It may just be jammed. The clunk is a good sign in that it means the actuator/motor is trying to shift the transfer box. It may need opening and inspecting though.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Rich998a said:
It may just be jammed.
Unfortunately this is not that uncommon in rigs that have lived the life of a pavement princess or mall mauler. :cry:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Low gear or low RANGE?????

Martin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses so far, it is much appreciated. After reading my original post and looking at the responses I now see that I could have been clearer with the fault description, so i shall give it another go.

When I move the gear selector from Drive (Hi) to 4 (low) there is a loud clunk noise and the gear does not engage leaving the vehicle stationary. However moving back to Drive (Hi) the gear selects and the vehicle moves forward. Anyone with any thoughts / solutions to this type of problem?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts