RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm brand new to these forums but have been researching this topic ad nauseum today. I locked my keys in my car this morning through the rear lift gate, my wallet is in there with all my identification and my bill of sale of the vehicle, also the vehicle is a new purchase. I have read all the "locked keys in car" posts on this site today in the L322 section and none make reference how to enter through the rear liftgate. Can someone point me to the post or give me info how I can do this?

Please see my Dilemma below...

Dillemma:

* Wallet & Keys locked in vehicle
* Bill of Sale & insurance info in vehicle
* Vehicle is a new purchase (no other paperwork for proof of ownership except inside the car)
* I live approx 2 hours from nearest LR Dealership & Locksmith
* I have another vehicle but it only has 40 miles of petro left (not enough to travel 2 hours away)
* My son is having eye surgery in 3 days and I need my wallet
* Bank wont let me pull money out since all my identification is in my wallet

Options:

1. Have dealership make me a new key -- I have no way of paying and no proof that the vehicle is mine
2. Break into car -- Its a new purchase and I really don't want to risk breaking a door/window/etc.
3. Have Auto Locksmith create a Key -- Nearest one is 2 hours away and he will not come out to my area to deliver without payment first
4. Enter through tailgate -- I searched for hours on this site and cannot find the post! (please help)

Thank you all in advance! BTW this is an awesome website!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
How the heck did you do that? If a door is locked when you close it, doesn't it unlock? I think it does on mine, you have to be outside of the car to lock it, either with the remote or the key in the door. I suppose if you locked the keys in the back and closed the cargo door you could do it.

Anyway that's a tough one, all the locks are electronic so it's not like you can jimmy the door open with a hanger, they're also double locked... Even the rear cargo doors latch is electronic. Although maybe if you were to get a hanger through the seal on the window you could reach the unlock button positioned on the center console, but the range does have a proximity sensor which might trigger the alarm in which case you'd be left with a locked rover with the alarm going off. I think when it's all locked and doors close that button is deactivated anyway.

I think you need to get some proof of ownership and get a key... I've purchased a key, and all they needed with the vin and my ID, I'm sure if you explained the situation and brought some proof of ID/passport, something... they'd get you a key. It's not like they want the title of the car on hand before they'll fork over a key.

You could also through a brick through the window :dance:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Sorry about that. Any "Entering a locked Range Rover through the tailgate" how-to post would have been zapped from the forum by a mod or admin, for obvious reasons :wink: , but if a technically inclined or experienced Good Samaritan or professional thief feels he/she could be of help through methods other than the obvious ones - Slim Jim (assuming that even works on the MkIII) or breaking a window, which is what I would probably do in your situation - please contact the OP via Private Message only.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
umbertob said:
Sorry about that. Any "Entering a locked Range Rover through the tailgate" how-to post would have been zapped from the forum by a mod or admin, for obvious reasons :wink: , but if a technically inclined or experienced Good Samaritan or professional thief feels he/she could be of help through methods other than the obvious ones - Slim Jim (assuming that even works on the MkIII) or breaking a window, which is what I would probably do in your situation - please contact the OP via Private Message only.
It's a pretty secure car, OP should def start walking to the nearest soup kitchen/homeless shelter to regroup. I guess the best way to bash a window out would by first putting your shirt over the window, then bashing it up with a large rock as to not damage the interior with the projectile brick method.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm amazed that someone could lock everything in their RR (especially given that it's not easy to lock these without the key in-hand), and still have something that has such great access to internet. Apparently a I-phone with a great keypad & screen is the only thing NOT locked into the vehicle.
I'm also that in this situation, you take the time to find and go to a forum that you've never posted or visited before and ask how to break into a RR.
I'm amazed that many industrious car thieves wouldn't have thought of this.
I'm also amazed if any of our fellow forum members would try to come up with a way to tell someone who we've never heard from before and only has one post how to break into our vehicle.

Amazing.

And if you are really in the very detailed perdicament, I suggest you call the police, and good lock.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,784 Posts
There is no need for anyone to get any panties in a knot. The information is readily available on the internet on other LR forums. Getting into a Mark III is easy. In fact I have done so in under 10 minutes with little effort when I locked the keys in my buddies 2005. However turning off the alarm and being able to move the car is a totally different matter.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
There is no need for anyone to get any panties in a knot. The information is readily available on the internet on other LR forums. Getting into a Mark III is easy. In fact I have done so in under 10 minutes with little effort when I locked the keys in my buddies 2005. However turning off the alarm and being able to move the car is a totally different matter.
Oh...

Nevermind then. :crybaby2:

Where is that available - what other forum? If it's there, then I guess you may as well post it here for the rest of us.
How did you lock the keys inside? Lock it with the FOB, toss the key inside & close the door?

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,941 Posts
FWIW it is rather easy to lock your stuff in the RR the MKIII has a relocking feature with the rear gate,
if the truck is locked and you use the fob to unlock the gate then you close the rear gate it will relock by itself in 30 second

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I don't know if all the vehicles are the same, but in mine, I just tested... I locked the vehicle using the remote while I was inside, then pushed the unlock button on the dash and it unlocked... so in theory all you'd need is a way to snake something in through the edge of one of the doors so you can tap that button (perhaps force something thin through the crack which could subsequently be inflated to create some space... carefully so you don't break the window). If the button may be disabled, then it will be significantly harder because you'd need to hook the door handle on the inside and pull that.

I don't think this is a technique that pro car thieves would use anyway since it takes too much time, but if the admins want to delete this, I understand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03rangiemark said:
I'm amazed that someone could lock everything in their RR (especially given that it's not easy to lock these without the key in-hand), and still have something that has such great access to internet.
I figured I would get this type of reaction..

FWIW if you would read my original post I stated that I locked my keys in the car this morning which any intelligent person could deduce that I was probably home when it happened and the car parked out front (which I was and it is). With that in mind its not so crazy to assume that I probably do have internet access in my home.

If you unlock the rear window with the key fob the moment you close the window it relocks automatically (I think another member also stated this). I opened the rear window to get access a laptop bag I had in the back and stupidly set the key down in the cargo area for a second, I took the documents I needed out and closed the rear window which automatically locked. Hence my dilemma.

I understand your concern that Im some sort of "internet" thief that invades forums only to gather pertinent information on how to easily break into vehicles however your assumption fails for four reasons:

1. If I was a thief why would i care to find a means to access the inside of this car without damaging it? If I really wanted something inside and it wasn't my car wouldnt I just smash the window?
2. Why would I choose an obviously complex and time consuming way to access the inside of this car?
3. If I really was some sort of professional car thief that could somehow "hotwire" a Range Rover then I probably WOULDNT have trouble getting into the vehicle.
4. If I wasnt a professional car thief and this was my first stolen care attempt then trust me I'd probably try lifting a Honda Civic than dissassemble the rear tailgate of a Range Rover and find tools to engage the emergency access latch.
5. If you're wondering why I'm going through the trouble of posting questions online for help, well, I have little gas.. no wallet.. and a lot of time at the moment.

Thank you for those who can post any info that can help me with this. Please PM me and I'm more than willing to talk to someone on the phone that can give me some help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your help; but this car is only 3 weeks old (to me) and I was hoping to not have to pop out windows or winch in between the doors to get this done. Accessing through the emergency latch in the tailgate sounded like the best idea simply because any damage to the car would not be visible from the outside.

I do have a plan currently (unfortunately) which is to borrow money from my ex-girlfriend so I can pay for the auto locksmith to cut me a key. I've already called and it will cost $150 for a key to access the inside which is all I need. Unfortunately they do NOT accept checks (just my luck).

BTW the only documentation I have on my regarding the vehicle is my auto loan papers which do not even have the VIN number on it. All it has is the type of vehicle, the account number, and the amount needing to be paid (this does not help me prove that the vehicle is mine). THis is very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I might add that I successfully used my MacGyver technique to open my sister in law's car after she locked her keys inside *with the engine running and baby inside*. Careful use of pry bar wrapped with thin cloth, insert inner tube bunched up, inflate tube, feed wire through gap, hit unlock button.... WIN!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
ViaVerumVita said:
my auto loan papers which do not even have the VIN number on it.
The VIN should be stamped on a metal plate visible through the lower driver's side edge of your Range Rover's windshield... You are definitely not a professional thief, even I knew that one. :lol:

ViaVerumVita said:
I do have a plan currently (unfortunately) which is to borrow money from my ex-girlfriend
Ouch. Dude, that sounds like a Larry David type of situation you have going on there... No other friend who can call in a credit card number to the locksmith? A favor from the ex... That sucks!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Anyone how much a new side window costs? Or what the cheapest window on the car is? I would just smash a window rather than left some "locksmith" hammer a wedge into my door seals. I have seen fire departments and locksmiths do some horrible things to cars to get in without damaging the car. I would bet that smashing on of the back side windows in the trunk area would be the ceapest way to gain access, but maybe the driver or middle seating area windows are cheaper/easier to replace.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,784 Posts
... then I guess you may as well post it here for the rest of us.
Just because another forum has something available on their site does not mean that RRnet is going to change standards and guidelines to follow suit. If that were the case we would be hosting illegal software, the forums would be fouled with cussing and name calling and let's not forget how fun it would be for flame wars to go on for pages. :roll:

Sorry, but if you want that kind of trash simply go to another forum for your entertainment. 8-|=

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Def do a door window! Call a dealer on glass prices, but you can replace a door window yourself. You'd have to be very good at DIY if you were to replace a quarter window in the rear - they're glued in.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
May not matter now, but I was sitting in my car again today, and noticed that the unlock button IS disabled when you lock using the remote... I must have pushed the lock button twice before, which means the doors are locked but "superlock" is not enabled. Either way, you can still open using the door handle but will be a lot harder to do than just pushing the button and the alarm will go off (but of course you can grab your key and fix that once you are in).

·
Registered
50 Posts
are the locks vacuum ones?.... iff so the old half a tennis ball might work...

I would go for the smashed window then access into the boot by dropping the rear seat down... if its a 150 for a key it might not be that much more expensive............and you would at least be solvent and able to get on with life in five mins.... if you do smash the window put a star union jack sort of pattern on the outside of the window to try and keep the bits together..get a six inch nail and a hammer and tap one corner of the window very hard ... the window should shatter and you wont damage the inside....good luck... btw... i believe your not a theif as Im a cop and I know how they steal RR and they dont use a made up key or access through any of the panels.... they useually burgle your hose to get the key, so dont leave them on the table by the door, or they tow it away on a low loader... the days of jemmying cars and hot wiring them are long gone... 8~
Geoff

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
finlander said:
are the locks vacuum ones?.... iff so the old half a tennis ball might work...

I would go for the smashed window then access into the boot by dropping the rear seat down... if its a 150 for a key it might not be that much more expensive............and you would at least be solvent and able to get on with life in five mins.... if you do smash the window put a star union jack sort of pattern on the outside of the window to try and keep the bits together..get a six inch nail and a hammer and tap one corner of the window very hard ... the window should shatter and you wont damage the inside....good luck... btw... i believe your not a theif as Im a cop and I know how they steal RR and they dont use a made up key or access through any of the panels.... they useually burgle your hose to get the key, so dont leave them on the table by the door, or they tow it away on a low loader... the days of jemmying cars and hot wiring them are long gone... 8~
Geoff
Heh, yeah I've always wondered why thieves don't just get one of those things that city parking police use... just swoop in, clamp on and drag that sucker off. They could clear a whole street in minutes. Perhaps too conspicuous though. Owning one of those things without a good reason might be a red flag.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ViaVerumVita said:
I do have a plan currently (unfortunately) which is to borrow money from my ex-girlfriend so I can pay for the auto locksmith to cut me a key. I've already called and it will cost $150 for a key to access the inside which is all I need. Unfortunately they do NOT accept checks (just my luck).
Before you have a locksmith "try" you might want to double check that they can cut a high security key. I know when I was trying to duplicate my key many shops claimed they could do it. Once they see it the story changes. The only place it could be created would be from the driver door. I'm not even sure how they would "make" the key. Its not as easy as filing little grooves in the key. Your best bet might be to smash a window call around and see which window is the cheapest.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts