Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 1998 Range Rover 4.6 HSE and I think I'm in love. The only big downfall is the stock deck is trashed. The display doesn't work. The code button doesn't light up so I'm guessing it isn't the problem. All I can get is a small static bump when I turn it off. The factory cd changer is there but also broken. Where can I find a trim installation kit so it fits nice in the dash? Where can I find a harness so I can keep the steering wheel controls with my aftermarket deck? Should I bypass the factory amp or can I wire it to an aftermarket deck? How many speakers are in the Rover? Will I be able to hook up both antennas to the aftermarket deck? Is the harman kardon system high quality or does it all need replaced? I have a CHM-S620 alpine 6 cd changer I bought years ago but never used. I would like to install it in place of the factory changer. Can I use an alpine deck compatible with my changer and still run all the speakers and the amp and steering wheel controls? I have hooked up many aftermarket decks in my vehicles and friends vehicles in the past and consider myself pretty skilled at it, however, I haven't been able to find any parts at all. I need a steering wheel control conversion wiring harness, a trim kit, a harness to hook up to the factory amp, a new alpine stereo, wiring harness for two antennas, and a little bit of confidence! Any help will be dearly appreciated.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Covered LOTS of times, and beaten to death just as much.
For me I'd keep the stock parts which, funnily enough for a rig that costs the same as a house, are very good quality. Folks like Scotty (see link in my signature) can ort you out with everything you need.
As far as retaining steering wheel controls etc, that all depends on what you install. Beware though, by changing stuff around you are losing more and more support from this forum. No way we can tell what a problem is when you are trying to make 10 different components all work together.
Kind of like me asking why my tach isn't working when this resides under my hood...
LSx engine.jpg

Martin

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just replaced my clarion with a Sony aftermarket, it took tons of research but the Harmon Cardon speakers sound great still.
First remove old deck
Get one of these it is the only thing I could find to use our stock amplifiers, nothing else worked for me.
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/ISVE61/1_Instructions/isve61_instructions.pdf
I got mine from best buy BUT they don't sell them in the store the manager went to the audio guys and got it(53.00)
but it feels like a quality made item, unlike some others that were cheaper.
Hook up left right ect to correct door by using range rove color codes. You will loose steering controls and I haven't had
a chance to experiment with subwoofer hookup yet although sounds great anyways. All of the power, memory , amp, dimmer
wires will be in the power plug and speaker connect in speaker plug. Tip, turn the converter screws all the way down
to start and you will only need to turn each channel 1/4up on the device(don't blow speaker).
The device will prevent hum or hiss coming out of your tweaters. When hooking up speakers hook both pos and neg wires to
truck harness.
Forgot to mention you should have 2 amplified antennae coming into original stereo don't get fancy all you need is 2 of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160792684661?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
(if your deck has us imputs for antennae and a y to connect both to stereo and it works better with both connected)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400444004067?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I need to buy a trim/installation kit so it looks good installed or is the small one that comes with all aftermarket decks good enough to cover all holes?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I just went to lowes and bought some of those auto trim plugs and pushed them in, and 2 small screws(black computer power supply) for the middle ones. Kind of military look going on.

I put a pick of my stereo in my album if this doesn't work.

·
Registered
253 Posts
for steering wheel control adapters see here: http://www.nexxia.co.uk/products.as...&c=Land Rover Steering Stalk Control Adapters

i've kept all the OEM sound stem and it is excellent sounding there are a couple of companies that will modify the head unit and put an MP3 jack in the front of it as well as give it a refurb.

The OEM system with amplifiers, head unit, sub, cd changer and sat nav is all integrated, if you change one bit, you'll end up changing it all and then be faced with finding the correct sizes and relocating equipment. i can be done and it's a PITA and a lot of work to keep looking clean and as OEM as possible. if you are cool with that commitment, then go for it, if not then keep the OEM and just get the head unit refurbed with the MP3 jack. or you can use this http://www.nexxia.co.uk/product.asp...ge Rover Harness Adaptors&product_code=H2L-RR

In a previous life i was a sound engineer and i'm more than happy with the stock system!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've swapped a few head units around in my 96.
You need pre-outs on the head unit that are 3volts or higher to run the door amplifiers.

I've just put a clarion nz502a in, and is brilliant, but pricey.

If you want to retain steering wheel controls, there are a few units around with programable steering wheel inputs. Otherwise your up for a seperate patch box.

·
Registered
84 Posts
or....lol

image.jpg

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
I honestly fail to see the big attraction with the aftermarket stuff.
Audio input can be added to any OEM head unit, and they sound pretty good in my book.
Oh well.....

Martin

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I have yet to see an aftermarket setup that doesn;t look like a bodge job. Usually they do little more than scream "Steal me". THen again I mostly listen to satellite due to poor regular coverage in many of the places I go.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Agreed Carl. Yet to see anything that looks remotely like a factory setup, which is a neat install IMO.

Martin

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would like to make it a bit nicer, but I wanted HD stereo and a usb stick. I may fashion something later on. It was heck just getting it to work.
I like the wood grain match.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Factory setups BLOW no bluetooth or auxillary or usb or even a cd player you can get into while driving. Try adding all that and see how great it looks! Hookup was easy I just hooked the two front speakers in parallel to one speaker output on the deck and no buzz. Best sounding system I think I've ever listened to. Subs put out the perfect amount of bass in my opinion.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Could you let us know a bit more detail in how you hooked it up. Did you find a way to incorporate the subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'm like toad, I haven't seen one aftermarket that doesn't look like it came out off pimp my ride.
I kept my head unit stock after investigating loads of aftermarket heads, but installed a Grom unit to give me Usb and Bluetooth. It works a treat on the stock unit.
I can have several hundred music tracks on one usb pen and also hands free mobile phone usage along with playback of all my music tracks from my iPhone and iPad.
The only thing missing is Dab.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are some of us who are into other stuff other than the beloved RR, I for one am seriously into music, I also do a fare amount of driving daily. My system is a little over the top and not for everyone, all my vehicle have upgraded system because that the way I like it.

Just saying....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts