RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having an issue with a strong gas smell and tank over-pressurization that comes and goes. Haven't found any fuel leaks in the system. I did some testing of the charcoal canister purge valve solenoid and the solenoid was functioning (when 12v applied) and it seemed as though the computer was sending signal to the valve while running (hard to determine). My next step was looking for tank vent clogs when I ran across what seemed to be a severed tank vent. The line was cut further forward from where this photo was taken, but I assumed it would be easier to ID the line from this photo and the little plastic expansion tank attached to the line.

Can anyone ID this line? What's the easiest way to remove the fittings on the EVAP send and received lines to see if there's a clog there? Anything else I'm missing here? The last time I had the strong gas smell I pulled over and tightened the gas cap (it was loose because of tank over-pressurization fears)... the smell went away right away BUT it has come on strong in the past with the cap completely tight as well. I'm losing brain cells by the mile over here! Hope to find a solution while I can still navigate the RAVE without assistance `)

20181130_074321.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
My only experience with tank over-pressurizing was when I left the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator after I rebuilt the top end. Easy enough to check.
No experience with purge valve sorry. Rave or wsm does not have diagram of hoses???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm starting to think that is has nothing to do with the fuel system because I can't find it in RAVE. I noticed that the Pressure Relief to atmosphere line isn't letting me suck air through it, but this is likely because the car wasn't running and the EVAP system wasn't in operation... not sure how exactly the air runs in this system with the solenoid opening and closing based on the ECU.

I will check the fuel pressure regulator to be sure.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.56.19 AM.jpg

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think the mystery line would be in this diagram if it had anything to do with fuel. But it's not.

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 9.55.40 AM.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts