RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried search the forums without success and I need urgent help:

I have just had a new windscreen fitted today by Autoglass and the chap did a very neat and efficient job. However when he removed the old screen he found that most of the wires to the Rear view mirror had been disconnected bundled up and stuffed under the headlining! He very kindly said he would re-wire these to the Mirror for me which he did.

When the screen was in and re-wired we tested everything we could think of including lights, indicators, wipers etc as well as testing the rain sensing mechanism which worked just fine. He left the job and after 1 hour I use the car.

On getting out I realised the Central locking was not working from my key fob so I tried my wife's key fob and that does not work either!

The car will start and lock manually but with keys out I could here a few clicking sounds in the doors and tailgate from the central locking system... This now seems to have stopped.

I have tried Re-programming the keys but they cannot/will-not be programmed using the normal (forum) method so something may be up with the re-connected and now inaccessible rear view mirror wiring !!

I am trying to get the guy back to undo his work but any ideas on the forum as I would like the mirror to work as it should with auto dipping function.

>>>>>>>

I have just had the Autoglass guy back and he checked all the Central Locking and Remote Central Locking fuses but they are all OK. He thinks the system may need a RESET due to the old wires being re-connected.

Does anybody know an easy way to RESET the Central locking or Whole Electrical system without plugging in to an ECU Scanner at a LR garage? HELP PLEASE :pray:

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,973 Posts
Does the LED under the mirror flash or do anything when you lock/unlock it? If he's left it unplugged then that may explain your prob - also what about the dimming mirror, does that work?

D

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Dan_UK_1984 said:
also what about the dimming mirror, does that work?

D
Sorry, I missed that bit in your post....

Did you see all the wires? Were they cut or did thy have plugs on the end etc? Maybe the windscreen got smashed in the past and the plugs damaged?

Can you elect to have LR do the windscreen? (I take it you had the screen done on and insurance claim) I had mine replaced last month by AG but didn't have any probs.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan_UK_1984 said:
[quote="Dan_UK_1984":j232gjl6]also what about the dimming mirror, does that work?

D
Sorry, I missed that bit in your post....

Did you see all the wires? Were they cut or did thy have plugs on the end etc? Maybe the windscreen got smashed in the past and the plugs damaged?

Can you elect to have LR do the windscreen? (I take it you had the screen done on and insurance claim) I had mine replaced last month by AG but didn't have any probs.[/quote:j232gjl6]

When the screen was out I saw the Wire loom and there were about 6 clean cut wires that were not attached to the rear view mirror previously. The very kind autoglass chap took ages to re-connect the colour coded wires to the cirresponding mirror wires and he then replaced the screen.

We then checked all the windscreen functions including rain sensors etc. and it all seemed OK. All interior lights, exterior lights etc. work fine.

The Central Locking works fine by key and the Red light attached to the rear view mirror flashes every few seconds when the system is locked.

Only problem the two keys that worked remotely before the screen change are now not working at all! Tried the reprogramming that I have used before successfully but that does not work now.

Sheeeesh :pray:

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Tried disconnecting the battery?

Most of the world uses RF handset signal but I think there are 1 or 2 territories that use IR instead, maybe he's unknowingly activated IR reception somehow whilst "being helpful" (just thinking out loud)

Have you read through the "Description & Operation" of the alarm system in RAVE? It's a fair bit of reading, I don't have time right now to see exactly what the process with remote unlock/lock alarm setting is. From vague memory certain conditions must be met before the ECU will grant a lock request....

Dan

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan_UK_1984 said:

Most of the world uses RF handset signal but I think there are 1 or 2 territories that use IR instead, maybe he's unknowingly activated IR reception somehow whilst "being helpful" (just thinking out loud)

Have you read through the "Description & Operation" of the alarm system in RAVE? It's a fair bit of reading, I don't have time right now to see exactly what the process with remote unlock/lock alarm setting is. From vague memory certain conditions must be met before the ECU will grant a lock request....

Dan
I am about 7 hours into downloading the RAVE CD2 so as yet I have no reference material......

Not sure what you mean by "RF handset signal but I think there are 1 or 2 territories that use IR instead" my territory is Rickmansworth near Watford UK!

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
Dan_UK_1984 said:

Dan
I am about 7 hours into downloading the RAVE CD2 so as yet I have no reference material......

Not sure what you mean by "RF handset signal but I think there are 1 or 2 territories that use IR instead" my territory is Rickmansworth near Watford UK!
OK in the UK we use RF - Radio Frequency, but some parts of the world (territory settings) use IR - Infra Red which needs a line of sight receiver that is installed in the red mirror blob, hence why if he wired something that was not meant to be wired it could have screwed with something, or activated something it shouldnt?

7 hours!? Internet Fail!! If you get no joy with it PM me your addy and i'll drop one in the post to you.

·
Premium Member
1,973 Posts
Gazellio said:
By the way your right he was being very helpful but unforunately he F***** Up my car :D
I HATE anyone else touching my car, getting quite anal about it these days. I have the paper knowledge, but just not the mechanical knowledge if that makes sense? That's why I prefer kerb-side-motors, I just tell them exactly what I want done and print off the relevant pages from RAVE to assist if they are unsure. You dont get some know it all LR tech who wants to fiddle with things!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you may have hit on it there - I bet he wired something that should have been left unwired like that Big Red Glowing monster light I can see from my window!

Not sure if it used to flash before but it sure does now in fact if I lived by the coast It could be a lighthouse.

Guess I maybe an IR guy after all.....

PS I have 50mb broadband so I guess its the site I am downloading from that's slow. I will PM you with my address if that's OK?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan_UK_1984 said:
Gazellio said:
By the way your right he was being very helpful but unforunately he F***** Up my car :D
I HATE anyone else touching my car, getting quite anal about it these days. I have the paper knowledge, but just not the mechanical knowledge if that makes sense? That's why I prefer kerb-side-motors, I just tell them exactly what I want done and print off the relevant pages from RAVE to assist if they are unsure. You dont get some know it all LR tech who wants to fiddle with things!
Now then Now then Now then........which colour wire do I cut? (I wish your previous wiring diagram in the other thread was undaersatable by me)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts