RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to open my tailgate and heard the "grind" and no open. Assuming the latch gear has broke and want to replace but how does one go about opening the tailgate if the latch is broke? Need help!:shock:

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Went to open my tailgate and heard the "grind" and no open. Assuming the latch gear has broke and want to replace but how does one go about opening the tailgate if the latch is broke? Need help!:shock:
This Just happened to me too. Helps to have a set of plastic trim tools. I was able to pull the top edge of the interior panel to expose the bolts for the actuator. Don't have the part so I'm leaving it alone for now. To loosen the panel, start closest to the D pillar and work your way toward the center. Try to be careful, new panels are around $400.

I will follow up with more info once I get the new latch and tear into it. There is a thread on here where the guy had to break the plastic part of the latch. Can't find that now due to crap RR.net search function.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
13 Posts
Ok, I replaced my lower tailgate latch and now everything is working again. A few lessons learned in this process:

What to do if your L320 Range Rover Sport lower tailgate is stuck.

1. You can access the latch by carefully pulling away the plastic trim on the lower tailgate. If the gate is stuck closed, you will not be able to fully remove the trim until the gate is open. But you will be able to reach the screws that hold the latch in and those that hold the subwoofer in. The latch can only be removed through the subwoofer hole.
2. Even if the latch is broken and making ratcheting sounds, you can pop it using a dental pick or other similar tool. It helps to have the new latch so that you can practice since you will be working blind.
3. You can also pop the upper hatch, which will often be stuck closed along with the lower hatch. If you pull the plastic trim on the upper hatch, there is a little white square thing that can be pushed aside and that will pop the latch.
4. It's easier to put the trim back in place if both hatches are open. That way you can see if from both above and bleow to get all the little white fasteners aligned.
5. On mine, I broke the lower trim in a few places where the carpeted panel is fastened to the surrounding panel. I just used regular LR "fir tree" fasteners to hold the two panels together. Works great.

There's more, but I am going to do a full write up and separate post, with pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts