Range Rovers Forum banner

Help!! Flat Battery and Locked out !!

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Richard_G 
#1 ·
Hello all,
Can anyone please help me, I have a 1999 Range Rover and it has been stood, now the battery is flat, not a problem with that, only thing is the vehicle is locked up and I cant get into to open bonnet to charge/change battery.
I have tried the emergy key unlock code ie turn the key anti and then clockwise, all to no evail.
Is there someone out there who can help please?

#2 ·
EDIT: I thought that was just to turn off the imobiliser! you should be able to gain access in the usual way!? ...or am I wrong?

Did you follow the emergency unlock procedure exactly as it says in the manual?
My brother-in-law had the same problem with his Rover 400 (they use the same technique) and he sometimes had to repeat it a number of times until it worked properly ...he was rushing it and not always returning the key to the center every time (sometimes going past center etc!).

#4 ·
I have tried the emergency unlock 3 times now taking care every time, but when tuening the key anti clockwise there appears to be alot of play(floppy) as though its not making any contact with anything?

I am located in UK, a rather snowy UK at the moment

#5 ·
The only other thing I can suggest then is a house brick (or other heavy object) and choose a window!!
...or do you know any local car thieves??

Are you a member of the AA or RAC? ...you might also want to consider an automotive locksmith, you can find them in the yellow pages (yell.com)

#6 ·
Problem Solved!!

Might be of use to others, the way of over coming this if you have tow bar fiited is:

Grey Socket:
Terminal 3: Colour White: Earth
Terminal 4: Coloour Green: Power to supply to all componets, except Fridge

I used a booster power pack to send voltage through these terminals gave enough joice to open locks (via fob), you can alternatively used a 12v battery to achieve the same results.

#8 ·
If you can get underneath, the starter motor is a good place to apply +12v to and 0v to any exposed earth nearby.

:!: WARNING Make sure you make last connection(s) to the jumper battery, when you are NOT underneath the car. I've no idea what the EAS unit will do, upon first seeing 12v, and it may drop the truck to the bump stops - not good if you're underneath!! :!:

#9 ·
Your key should unlock the door even with a flat battery. This I know :D :oops:

Ron

#11 ·
Hmm, dunno, I've never tried.

I'll go out now, superlock it, and then disconnect the battery.

OK, assuming that it actually superlocked with the bonnet open, the key unlocked the door.

I thought I'd check the superlcoking by doing it from inside the car. I'm not sure it did because I could unlock the car by lifting the locking snib.

Ron

#13 ·
andy london uk said:
one of the rear door locks can be encouraged externally even if superlocked.

not telling you all details though - talk to a dealer about it.
Then why even mention it? i don't know about the UK, but US dealers won't tell us squat. And even if they do, I wouldn't believe most of what they say. That's what these forums are for...exchanging information.

I understand that you don't want to give thieves more info, but if someone wants to steal my truck, then they will no matter what. But if your info will help someone get back inside their vehicle, then all the better.

#18 ·
andy london uk said:
i just don't want to explain how easy it is to break into a p38 after seeing an ex-dealer do it twice.
That's why he's an ex-dealer! :D

Can you PM the method to me. I occasionally work in an independent LR workshop. I dunno whether one of the other blokes on here knows, he works at a dealer's workshop. I won't say who or in which country he lives as he may not want it publicised.

I will ask another bloke who is the hed mechanic at an ex-dealership (Land Rover Australia in their wisdom dropped about 22 dealerships even though some wanted to stay as dealerships or even authorised service agents. I think they thought Ford dealerships would take over. They haven't and most don't want to.)

Ron

#25 ·
Wrong forum, this is for 94-02 P38. However, can you get to the starter main terminal from underneath and put a jump lead onto that? Do you have 12 pin or split towbar electrics? There's a permanent live connection on that so you can feed power into that if you've got it. Rumour has it that you can pull one of the side repeater indicators out and connect power to one of the wires (yellow I think) on that but I can't see that being the case. Maybe on a US spec car with side marker lights?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.