RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a noise that sounds like a loud power steering pump, or a supercharger. The sound feels like its behind the drivers (left) side valve cover, at the front of the motor. Pressing a pry bar against my ear and touching the block I can really hear it, but don't hear the noise touching the water pump or alternator. Is there anything under the valve cover right there that would make such a sound? Chain guides and tensioners were done about 20k ago. Left valve cover definitely has a noise that the right side doesn't, and seems to be loudest at the top end in the head. I don't have the Vanos clatter on startup.

Thanks for taking a listen
https://youtu.be/cg7yzjJ7B9I
2003 Range Rover L322 4.4L BMW, ~160k miles

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm planning to take the serpentine belt off this weekend, hopefully that will narrow down the source.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It sounds like a belt or something connected to it. It does not sound like it's in the engine.

BTW, you Vanos units are loud. You should have had the seals replaced when you did the chain and guides. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine's always been super quiet, then suddenly one day it sounds like it is in the video. The location of the noise seems to be coming from where the vanos unit would be located, and only on one side, is it safe to drive with this noise? Is the vanos noise not the same whine heard when I rev'd the engine in the video?

thanks

It sounds like a belt or something connected to it. It does not sound like it's in the engine.

BTW, you Vanos units are loud. You should have had the seals replaced when you did the chain and guides. It makes a huge difference.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover MkIII / L322
763 Posts
I would remove the belt asap and see if the noise remains.

I encountered a similar noise a while ago which turned out to be broken timing chain guides so personally I would not drive the car until you have determined exactly where the noise is coming from.

The Vanos noise that people talk about is more a rattling noise which give the engine a diesel sound.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No, I don't think the whine is the Vanos. The rattle - can of marbles - sound when the video is near the left cam cover is the Vanos.

The whine sounds like it's from outside of the engine - at least it does in the video. In person, gives you better depth perspective.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had the Vanos rattle before, to me, it sounded more like a valve clatter / knocking, like an engine starved for oil, or I guess what a typical diesel engine sounds like. It would go away after 2-3 seconds. After replacing the check valves and sticking with 10w-30 oil, haven't the vanos rattle in 2 years.

This sounds more like a humming, like the vibration you'd feel in a pressure washer hose. Does Vanos also make this type of noise?

The whine when revving, and the humming at idle I've never heard before, so I'm assuming the two are related. Haven't had a chance to listen to the engine while someone else does the revving.

No, I don't think the whine is the Vanos. The rattle - can of marbles - sound when the video is near the left cam cover is the Vanos.

The whine sounds like it's from outside of the engine - at least it does in the video. In person, gives you better depth perspective.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The sound almost sounds like a bearing, perhaps water pump bearing on the way out or the vicsous fan coupler. I'd remove the belt and fan and see if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
dont drive it till you have removed the belt to check for the noise.
it sounds like a chain grinding on a plastic guide to me

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

Did you ever find the cause? I have this about 1 in 10 times I start the engine!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's currently at the dealer. They removed the two serpentine belts, and the noise is still there. They agree, it sounds like the noise is coming from under the valve cover. Is it possible for Vanos to make this humming sound? Should have more info tomorrow when they can dive a little deeper.

I looked back at my receipts, apparently I only did the chain tensioner, not the guides, so perhaps I'm due for guides.

Hi,

Did you ever find the cause? I have this about 1 in 10 times I start the engine!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I will guess that one of the guides has fractured and is making the timing chain tighter and causing the rubbing noise,
I would limit the engine running time so further damage is prevented .

an inspection of the chain run should be performed before you run it again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership is still at a loss, they have the valve cover off and don't see anything that looks unusual. They are looking to me to tell them what to try next, this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I was thinking of having them swap out the vanos solenoid, since it is an easy thing to swap, and seems like the noise could be Vanos related. Waiting for a quote on that; they said to replace the solenoid, the front cover has to come off. Apparently they don't have the tool to remove the solenoid, so I'm going to let them borrow mine tomorrow morning... again, does not inspire confidence.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To change the vanos solenoid, i believe its a 32mm long socket. Are there any codes? If the solenoids have failed, it should have a advance or retard timing code. The vanos units attached to the intake camshaft can make noise as they age, but would require removing the chains and locking the camshafts in place.

Pulling the valve cover may not be enough to see if the guides are damaged. By pulling the upper timing covers, you can get a better look at the guides. Also, dropping the oil pan to look for plastic debris may prove broken guides. I just did all my guides 5 months ago. When i pulled off the lower timing cover i could see the plastic on the V guide wasn't even attached.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I stopped by the dealership this morning to drop off the socket for the vanos solenoid. They said they couldn't see anything wrong so far, and didn't seem to know what to check next... Check cam shaft bearings... take front cover off... I went back and took a look under the hood. I immediately could see something looked out of place. A big chunk of chain guide was loose and sorta sideways, I could move it around with my finger. I pointed this out, they didn't have much to say about it. When I asked them how much it would cost to fix, they said they don't really work on cars with this many miles. So planning to tow it to another shop for chain guides. Charged for 1 hour diagnostics which seems reasonable. Anyway, mystery solved, pic below

IMG_8611.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can see the chain guides broken apart in the pics below, seems like I caught it pretty early, there doesn't seem to be any metal on metal contact yet. I also got the valve covers powder coated in a black wrinkle finish.

IMG_8680.jpg IMG_8651.jpg IMG_8677.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts