RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Failed emissions twice and my mechanic is confused. Every oxygen sensor has been replaced and the plan is to replace the catalytic converter, which will not be cheap. The error code associated with the ever present check engine light is pointing to the oxygen sensors I believe. It is a 2000 Range Rover with 171,000 miles. The has been an issue for months now with no end in sight.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

·
Registered
930 Posts
First of all, if CEL is on, you'll never pass emissions no matter how many dozen times you make repairs and test for emissions.

The fact that your mechanic doesn't understand that sounds very suspect.

It'll help if you actually write down what error code(s) is showing up, and if possible actual results from emissions test.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
Could need a new MAF and adaptions reset. Is the MAF genuine or aftermarket?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Get yourself an OBD II scanner and check the codes yourself. I had the same problem with a new-to-me Rover, got a scanner for $100, checked the codes and history here, replaced my MAF for $175 and 2 minutes work, and no more SES light - passed emissions!

I spent $275 but probably saved $500 or more. This isn't rocket science, they are surprisingly easy to work on especially with this board as a resource.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all those who posted. This forum makes me feel a little less insane. This problem has been so frustrating, lengthy and costly.

I will check on the error code tomorrow and post it here. I recall him saying it was referring him to the oxygen sensor(s) but he just replaced them all with new sensors.

I will also mention the MAF to him. He doesn't work on Land Rovers so he may be overlooking something.

He is trying to find a used catalytic converter as new prices are $2,000 - $5,000 he said. I believe he is having difficulty finding such a catalytic converter, is it realistic to think he can find one?

Lastly, I heard, and let me say that this sounds like a rumor to me, that if a person puts a certain amount of money into a car, the Department of Motor Vehicles will allow them to pass emissions regardless of its performance on the tests.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I hate to say it, but sounds to me like your mechanic is milking you for money.

If I were you, if you don't have the funds to get an OBD reader right away, I would stop by the closest AAMCO or Pepboys to get a FREE diagnostic reading.

I hate to say it, but a lot of mechanics out there are just looking after their own needs, not yours.

Also, it'll help others help you if you put down your location.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds like you are getting hosed a bit. Find an indy Rover shop or at least a foreign car shop. I'm not sure what is so special about the Rover cats that would make them that expensive, perhaps look for a universal cat for replacement and have a muffler shop do any welding that would be needed (if indeed this is the problem!). Can someone clarify if this is an option? - I haven't really looked at the exhaust in a bit....

As for your question about the DMV - impossible to say since we don't know where you are. In Pennsylvania there is a rule that you can get a "pass" for the emissions test if you spend something like $250 on EMISSIONS related parts attempting to fix the problem and still do not pass. Of course, this is not a long term solution, since you'd get soaked for at least $250 every friggin year just to pass inspection.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You don't need a catalytic converter....you need a MAF and a new mechanic.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I back all you guy's in the maf is the culprit. It will also need the fault codes clearing & an adaptive reset.

Whenever the o2 sensors make a complaint i go straight to the maf & it ends up being a five min job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with him and the code is po1173, does that help?

I doubt he is milking me for money as I only pay for parts and I pay for those at cost because I am a close friend with the co-owner of the shop. For all this work, there is no labor charge. I will suggest the MAF again. It looks like another mechanic is recommending he create a custom cat converter. Does that sound right?

Location is Wisconsin, USA.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can get new cats from Atlantic British for 700 bucks. Christ who would suggest making your own? The code refers to the upstream O2 sensor, which has nothing to do with the cat function. Someone's getting jerked around on this. It's either the MAF or wiring, so clean the MAF with 8 bucks worth of cleaner and see if you get a temporary fix. If it works, replace the MAF sensor in the near future.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have seen more than one Bosch ECM go out throwing a bad o2 sensor fault. Usually left bank. You need to get it to a rover mechanic. I have never replaced a set of cats on one and only seen 1 get them replaced. (out of prob a dozen that had the ecu crap out)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mechanic is at the I give up stage.

I have no recommended Rover mechanic in my state (Wisconsin). Dealership worth the price? I really don't want to pay more money for a mechanic to look/try to fix a problem and continue to fail while charging me the whole way. I'm probably going to have to sell this truck as I cannot afford to keep up with the maintenance fees. The drivetrain just went last week but was fixed. I could just sell it as is but is anyone going to want to buy a truck that cannot pass emissions? I guess I could try to trade it in but my knee jerk reaction there is that it is a bad idea as the price will be so bad.

What's my best plan here?

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pricing ... h=Trade-In

·
Registered
211 Posts
Did you replace the MAF?

·
Registered
541 Posts
If the MAF isn't the problem, take it to the dealer then. They have the proper equipment to test and diagnose the problem and the experience to correct it (hopefully anyway). Since you are not out any labor so far from your current mechanic, you are still ahead of the game, although his inexperience might have been costing you the money, not the Rover itself. Why replace all this stuff and then get rid of the truck? You'll just take a hit. Fix it, keep it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
KyleT said:
I have seen more than one Bosch ECM go out throwing a bad o2 sensor fault. Usually left bank. You need to get it to a rover mechanic. I have never replaced a set of cats on one and only seen 1 get them replaced. (out of prob a dozen that had the ecu crap out)
Can you elaborate on this? I have the PO1173 frequently and have done everything from check the harness to change the O2 sensors out (with bosch o2 sensors from AB) it is very annoying to have to reset it all the time

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just heard back from the dealer shop, it was the Mass Air Flow all along. Shows the importance of an experienced mechanic. One more $600 cost and that will be the end of this problem I think.

Question is if I'm selling it either way, is this worth it? I am going to assume I can sell it for $600 more with this problem fixed so fix it.

Correct?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought a new Bosch MAF from Auto Parts Warehouse on line a couple weeks ago for $174.95 with free shipping.

To install it is literally a 3 minute job with a Phillips screwdriver that my 13 y.o. daughter could have figured out how to do in 4 minutes. To bill you $600 for that part & repair is thievery!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts