Range Rovers Forum banner

HELP!! Banging sounds from undercarriage!

6K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  naijaman 
#1 ·
Hey folks...just bought a 2002 Range Rover 2 months ago, and all has been well. Over the past week or so, I've noticed that when I try to accelerate from a stand-still position, say at a light or stop sign, there is this slamming/banging sound that emanates from under the vehicle...seems to be coming from the rear of the vehicle. I've noticed it happens more often than not when I try to accelerate after making a right turn, though sometimes it also happens when going straight and trying to accelerate from a stop. Can anyone help me with understanding what the issue is?

Thanks!!

#7 ·
FYI - My 98 Disco is doing exactly the same thing - and I think I have the diagnosis. First - you will notice that it always starts from a standstill upon acceleration. Once you let off of the gas it stops, and then you can accelerate again usually with no problems. My LR mechanics are telling me that it is loose backlash in the differential (front one in my case - maybe the rear one in yours). I understand that it can be adjusted somewhat - but there is possibly so much play in the gears that you might need to have them replaced. My "fix" will be to install a limited slip tru-trac or similar up front. Might as well fix the problem and add some traction at the same time!

Of course your problem could be something else entirely - but the symptoms sound the same - a banging/thumping noise. Let us know what you find out in case my symptoms are not what they think they are (loose backlash). Thanks!

#9 ·
Ok...so the problem got worse...initially the banging/slamming sound would happen when trying to accelerate from a standstill position like at a stop sign...now it happens even when trying to accelerate on the highway. Took it to the stealership today and was told that the transfer case was the problem and was given a preliminary quote of $3,000!

Ok...need help here folks...3 large? Ouch...

#11 ·
they are a basic chain driven transfer case that splits in half. that means they are a piece of cake to rebuild :thumb:
there is a used one around me for @$500 IIRC.
here is a rebuilt one with warranty...
http://www.roverlandparts.com/range-rov ... plete.aspx
here is a link to some of the parts inside it
http://www.roverparts.com/Nxt/search.as ... tn-submit=
i rebuild quite a few t/cases for the motor swaps i do in other rigs, and the chain driven ones are a piece of cake compared to something like a dana 300 gear driven case.

martin

#14 ·
lots of labor to pull the t/case? :think:
sheesh....
where are you located at?
funny how they know exactly what is wrong before opening up the t/case isnt it?
the PO of my rig paid $3k to have the transfer case "rebuilt" at a stealership (the fool), funny thing is, i am 99.9% sure they never replaced the output shaft bearings as they have some play in them already. so i will be pulling mine apart at some point to replace the bearings etc. but as i said, it is a VERY easy transfer case to work with. i personally see no reason for a stealership to be involved with this process.
tell us where you are located at then maybe someone can come up with a good alternative.

martin

#15 ·
I can tell you a worse story about TC chain replacement.....

I went in to a dealership knowing that a TC chain needed replacement. They also diagnosed it as a worn TC chain, and quoted me $1.5k, which I suppose is reasonable at a dealership...BUT, a week later, they tell me that the transmission is broken, too,and lops on $3.5k on top of the original quote for a transmission rebuild.

Since then, I've done most of diagnosis and repairs myself. I don't trust anybody out there. In fact, I don't think I've spent more than $1k in the last 2 years or so, even with a myriad of repairs I've done.

Moral of the story, if you can do the repairs yourself, do them yourself. If not, take your car to a VERY trustworthy facility.

#16 ·
leftlanetruckin said:
lots of labor to pull the t/case? :think:
sheesh....
where are you located at?
funny how they know exactly what is wrong before opening up the t/case isnt it?
the PO of my rig paid $3k to have the transfer case "rebuilt" at a stealership (the fool), funny thing is, i am 99.9% sure they never replaced the output shaft bearings as they have some play in them already. so i will be pulling mine apart at some point to replace the bearings etc. but as i said, it is a VERY easy transfer case to work with. i personally see no reason for a stealership to be involved with this process.
tell us where you are located at then maybe someone can come up with a good alternative.

martin
I'm live between the MD/PA line, but I work in MD. I took the Range to the stealership in Cockeysville, which is where my office is located. I really appreciate all the feedback I'm getting here regarding my problem. I have a mechanic who has done some work for my Benz and replaced my wife's BMW transmission. I don't know if he works on Range Rovers, but I'll ring him in the morning and see if he can replace the TC chain (if that's the only thing broken).

I shall report back to base camp!

Thanks again!

#17 ·
any mechanic should be able to replace the chain etc.
it wont be broken per say, more like a lot of slack in the chain.
can't help you myself with where you live, unless you want a road trip :thumb:

martin

#18 ·
Ok...so I took the vehicle to a highly recommended shop that specializes in Land Rovers, and was told the parts would not cost too much ($500 or so) but the labor would be tedious and would cost about $1200 for a total bill of a little more that $1700.

Does this sound right or am I getting hosed?

#20 ·
Hosed X2.
You can shop around for the chain, labor is listed as the following on my Alldata account:
Warranty 4.3 hours
Standard 5.2 hours.
This includes R&I transfer case.
So unless they charge @$200 an hour, they are being greedy IMHO.
It is an easy enough job, and although I have not been inside the Borg Warner on the RR, a chain can normally be replaced with the front case half in the rig.

Martin

#22 ·
G'Day 1 year ago when i had a transfer swoped out or Labour Quoted $375AUD plus parts,$75 for output seal on transmission and for exhaust gaskets .
The Morse or Box chain Borg Werner O/E is 99GBP on ebay
Output seals on transfer and if bearings are shot?
These are the Landrover Part Nos
See other post on box chain bearing replaced
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15605

qty
2 RTC6015 Bearing
2 FTC4939G Oil seal
2 RTC6025 Bearing
1 STC3229 Bearing
1 STC3238 Box Chain Drive
1 FTC2979 Oil seal
1 STC 3234 Oil pump
1 STC3236 Bearing
1 RTC6363 Seal Trans Box Flange
1 FTC4140 Prop Shaft
Item number: 280227025426
Any thing dearer Rip off

#23 ·
Ok...again, thanks for all the feedback. Finally found two shops that can do the work. The first shop recommended that I just buy a used/rebuilt transfer case instead of replacing the chain. :hand:

The second shop (where the vehicle is right now) has pulled the transfer case and inspected the chain and has concurred that the chain needs to be replaced. Just got a call from them saying there are 3 different chains showing up when the VIN number is punched into their computer, so they now need to check some serial number somewhere and contact the dealer to find out which of the 3 chains is the right one.

More to come....

#25 ·
Well...here's where things ended up. The transfer case was pulled from the Range and I was told the entire piece needed to be replaced. The chain was worn, along with some other smaller parts in the TC itself. I bought a rebuilt TC for $700 (shipping included) and had it installed for $800. I'm scheduled to pick the vehicle up tomorrow morning...here's hoping all will be ok. I will report back tomorrow.

#26 ·
Guess I am in the wrong job then.
$800 in labor to replace a transfer case? :think:
Wow, that's all I can say.

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.