RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. My truck (98 rr 4.0) has been shutting off and the battery has been dying. It has been doing this thing where when I start it, it turns over and runs for a second, but then it just cuts out. I thought this was my alternator, so just yesterday I put a new one in with a new belt. The truck was running fine for about 2 hours, and then boom, it just cuts off again on me, while I was in the middle of an exit ramp on the highway. So, i tried jump starting it, and it was still cutting off. Then, after like a half hour, the truck just started up fine, and got me home fine.
So, here lies my problem. Out of nowhere, the truck can just die on me, and if i am lucky, it might start again when it feels like it. My mechanic said it could really be ANYTHING, (sensor,ground,connection,etc.), so I wanted to see what you guys think. I am thinking that it is some sort of bad ground wire, that comes off contact sometimes and gives me trouble. What could this be? Where do I start? Where are the main ground points in this truck that i should be checking? Are there any tests i can do? Although i do most of the work on this thing myself, i don't really know too much about electrical problems, and anything you guys can tell me about this problem would really help a lot. I have a 98 4.0 rr, with the gems system, if that helps. Thanks so much, i really don't know what to do.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Cherokee that tuned out to be caused by a bad ignition lead. Could be worth checking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts