RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a noob posting here but have been a lurker for some time to either look at pics or read up on new stuff. Its unfortunate that my first post is regarding issues with my wheel on a 2008 RRS but it is what it is.
While driving on 495 MD I went over a small pothole doing roughly 60-65 and immediately heard what I thought was the tire explode, pulled over to the side and checked it out but couldn't see anything wrong other than it had started losing air. I got roadside assistance to come out and when the man took the tire off we both couldn't see any gashes on the tire until I noticed a ripped opening on the inner part of the rim. Although, I thought it was very strange, we really couldn't see how bad the rip was since it was at night and the tire was still intact and on the rim but the damage was more clearer when the dealership took the tire off...Here's where things got interesting....when I visited the dealership their initial reaction was to say "its not a defect" and give quotes to have the tire and rim replaced. Then once they took the tire off I was told it was caused by contact of an object on the road which was wrong........
Not satisfied with their response we requested a meeting with a manager to get a detailed explanation as to why a rim would rip in such a way on a truck with just a few miles over 10,000 and no low profile tires or low pressure, why they wanted us to replace the tire that visibly looked ok and how the rep was able to conclude it wasn't a defect just by looking at it initially, and how the tires were able to stay intact if it was such a violent contact. The dealership mgr mentioned he had seen 2 similar cases in the past but couldn't remember how the issues were resolved and after a week or so informed us that Land Rover would not replace the rim or tire. I have no problem replacing it myself but now there's paranoia on what could happen next time me or the gf drive over a pothole or bump in the road and if you live in the DC area you will know what I mean. I don't think there's anything else I can do but if folks have any suggestions then I'll appreciate it.
On that note, I was looking at ordering the rim from http://www.finishlinewheels.com and wanted to know if anyone could share their experience with them, the dealer is asking for $725 but it seems I can get it for prices way lower.

·
Registered
61 Posts
**** thats pretty hard to believe that a pothole could do that. You would expect damage to the outer parts of the rim bead and not directly in the center. I have no idea but I do know that you can get a new wheel for cheaper than that. I sold my whole set with tires on craigslist for 700 so I would check there first.

good luck and I hope you get it fixed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had a better explanation but I went back to the area the next day to look at the spot and there was nothing there but a small pothole. If I really went over an object bad enough to do such damage at that speed without ripping thru the tire then I think things would've been worse i.e a possible fatal accident. What's even worse is I've driven my other cars and my bike thru the same lane so...I really don't know what to make of it.
I think I'd feel comfortable with just getting a new one and the site I mentioned earlier is selling it for $269.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Coldplay.

That's pretty impressive, as my weekend warrior has driven over said potholes and bent rims(**** sister) with outer damage !

This would be the first defect I can imagine of the metal actually rupturing under impact and I remember the crap city streets of Washington D.C. even the last time I was there in 1991, though I heard of TSW wheel spokes fracturing at extreme edges ?

If there were any other telltale signs of structural imperfection in this single rim, I'd check it out with a wheel man before hand.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vinni, I might just have a wheel man check it out. Now I have to decide if I should get a new tire or just put the old one on....I hate making decisions like these.

·
Registered
306 Posts
sorry about what happened to you coldplay. that seems like a defective rim in my opinion. I've seen my fair share of rim damage here in NYC but nothing as crazy as this. if the damage was causing by hitting something on the road it should have destroyed your tire. too bad you have to pay out of pocket. good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts