Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello admins and fellow Range Rover owners... I recently bought a 2001 P38 and had a break in attempt where drivers side door lock was punched out and the rear hatch was pried. I didn't properly latch the hood last time it opened so I have access to engine/battery if that helps

The FOB is fried and I previously entered with the key in lock without issue

Can an admin or someone here DM me instructions on how to get in without breaking window or sawing through door latch
Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,229 Posts
I had mine opened by the road service not so long ago. Used a wedge to open the top corner of the drivers door, inserted an airbag and inflated it to open the crack further, used a wire hook to lift the inside lock latch and then open the door from the inside. This won't work if it is super locked. Shouldn't be a problem if you have been using the key.

·
Administrator
4,779 Posts
Presumably they didn't manage to get in so it is now closed and locked still? You may be able to poke a piece of wire in through the hole where the lock was and find the rod that went from the lock to the latch. If you can get hold of that, you could move it up or down with a pair of long nosed pliers (it needs to be lifted up for unlock). Failing that, wedge and length of wire to pull the sill locking button up or remove the rear door small window so you can get in through there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had mine opened by the road service not so long ago. Used a wedge to open the top corner of the drivers door, inserted an airbag and inflated it to open the crack further, used a wire hook to lift the inside lock latch and then open the door from the inside. This won't work if it is super locked. Shouldn't be a problem if you have been using the key.
I tried this approach and the car is indeed in super lockdown :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Presumably they didn't manage to get in so it is now closed and locked still? You may be able to poke a piece of wire in through the hole where the lock was and find the rod that went from the lock to the latch. If you can get hold of that, you could move it up or down with a pair of long nosed pliers (it needs to be lifted up for unlock). Failing that, wedge and length of wire to pull the sill locking button up or remove the rear door small window so you can get in through there.
I tried this a few times but didn't see a rod to grab with a pair of pliers. I'll borrow a friends fiber optic camera to see if I can locate it. Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,779 Posts
The rod goes upwards from the latch to the lock, so if it has become detached from the lock will have fallen one way or another (I would suspect it will fall towards the back of the door). Once you can see it, you should be able to move it into a position where you can grab hold of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rod goes upwards from the latch to the lock, so if it has become detached from the lock will have fallen one way or another (I would suspect it will fall towards the back of the door). Once you can see it, you should be able to move it into a position where you can grab hold of it.
So after about a thousand attempts I was able to get in.... now the problem is starting as the door key is destroyed and cant perform a EKA and car is immobilzed. any ideas?

·
Administrator
4,779 Posts
You can still enter the EKA without the key as only the handle is damaged, not the latch. Now you can get in, take the door panel off and take the latch out. Open the window fully so you can close the door but lean inside and get hold of the latch. You may be able to do it with the latch still in the door as long as you are sitting inside the car so you can get a hand inside the door to operate the lock rod. All doors must be closed for the EKA to be accepted.

You have the two rods, one that went to the lock and the one that has the sill locking button on it. To simulate a turn to lock, push the sill locking rod down and at the same time pull the lock rod up. So to enter the first 4 turns to lock, simultaneously push the sill locking button down and pull the lock rod up, then leave the sill locking button down, push the lock rod down (so simulating the key being turned back to centre), then pull the lock rod up again. That gives you the second turn to lock so carry on until you have done the 4 turns. Ensure you always return the lock to centre by pushing the rod down. To enter the first digit, pull both rods up simultaneously (so the sill locking button is up showing door unlocked), push the lock rod down again. Assuming you have the standard NAS EKA of 1515, you then want to enter the 5 the same way as you did the first 4 turns to lock and so on.

Reactions: SuperSeanics
1 - 8 of 8 Posts