Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 P38A Rangie.

The problem i am having is that its idle, when stopped at lights and its idling in drive, is very rough and feels like its going to stall.

I have changed the plugs and leads. I am also about to install a new fuel filter.

I have noticed it revs on the correct amount in park or neutral, but when stopped in drive, it drops down to about .500, should this happen and if not, then what do i do.

I have also been told it could be a blender motor, no idea what that is or where it is.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Won't be a blender motor, that's the motor that controls direction and temperature of internal air flow in the cabin.
My money's on the MAF. Don't buy cheap, these cars don't do anything but original equipment for this part.
Do not buy EBay unless it's a genuine OEM part, DO NOT buy cheap Chinese pattern or especially Britpart.
Search on the forum under MAF, you'll soon see why!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
Since you've got a 1995 - one of the GEMS engine management models, I would do as Cornishman says and check the MAF first.

Luckily, the GEMS/LUCAS MAF sensors seem to respond better to cleaning than the later Bosch ones (which just fail or go out of spec). Grab a can of MAF cleaner and attack it with that.

Next thing that can cause issues on the GEMS vehicles is the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) which is attached to the side of the throttle body. This stepper motor is what the ECU uses to control the air flow into the engine at idle. They are known on the GEMS models to get coked up over time, and thus not operate correctly and mess the idle up.

I would give that, and the MAF a good clean first and then see how she responds.

Good luck!

Marty

·
Registered
325 Posts
Since you've got a 1995 - one of the GEMS engine management models, I would do as Cornishman says and check the MAF first.

Luckily, the GEMS/LUCAS MAF sensors seem to respond better to cleaning than the later Bosch ones (which just fail or go out of spec). Grab a can of MAF cleaner and attack it with that.

Next thing that can cause issues on the GEMS vehicles is the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) which is attached to the side of the throttle body. This stepper motor is what the ECU uses to control the air flow into the engine at idle. They are known on the GEMS models to get coked up over time, and thus not operate correctly and mess the idle up.

I would give that, and the MAF a good clean first and then see how she responds.

Good luck!

Marty
+1 to this advice. My '95 was the same. Leads, plugs and air filter replaced and then everything on the inlet side got a good clean. Now it has a rock steady idle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yep, check the IACV. Could be one of two problems with it, could need cleaning (give it a good blast with carb cleaner) or if the seal around it has perished, you'll get whacky idle. Will only take a minute to pull and you can check the status of both it and its gasket/seal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.