RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to one and all.
So sorry if this has been covered before but I have tried the search.

Just had my 03 TD Rangie for 24 hours and when I went oot tonight the cars battery was flat as a pancake.

I managed to jump start it no OK but is now showing that my suspension is inactive.

My last range rover was a P38 which suffered from the same problem and was traced to my neighbours remote weather station keeping the car 'awake'
Surely 10 years down the line this cannot still be the case?

Questions.

Could this still be the case of the car not 'sleeping?

how do I 'reset the suspension?

cheers in advamce

Bill

G

·
0 Posts
Re: Hello from a newbie and a question already re flat battery

To reset the suspension, start the vehicle and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way tot he right. It needs to know the extents of the steering wheel sensor for the suspension to work.

re; RF interference, the MKIII or L322 doesn't (AFAIK) suffer the same issue as the P38 does. I am battling the same problem and have traced it down to either the quiescent battery drain, or the final stage resistor.
Already fitted the wiring harness as described in TSB 162, (which didn't fix it) and I am now waiting for a replacement FSR.

If none of these comments make sense, google them or search the forums, they have been described at length.

Welcome to the world of home maintainence

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanx very muchy for the quick reply.
At work just noo so will do the wheel turning when leaving to go home.

could leaving the vehicle 'unlocked' all day cause the car to stay 'awake'?

cheers again

·
Registered
144 Posts

Leaving the car unlocked won't put it sleep, you are correct. However, this won't be enough to flatten the battery in such a short time - I leave my car unlocked in the garage for days on end without issue.

There are two possibilties, either your battery is failing (I had one die overnight when it was parked in a hotel carpark) and a simple swap will solve your problems, or you have a drain which is most likely the final stage resistor (a search on here will bring up good results) and isn't the most expensive item you'll replace on the car.

9 times out of 10 I'd suspect the battery is the guilty party.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Again, thanx for the replies.

Went oot this morning and after being 'alone' all night the car started first time.
Ace.
I then did the reset as detailed above for the suspension.
It works manually but does not go into motorway mode.

any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

You can buy an old-fasioned battery acid tester bulb, and check the health of the individual cells of your battery. I had a period of mysterious battery drain problems, but a simple check of the acid in each of the six cells found two cells to be draining the remaining four cells if it sat for a few days.
Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts

Rather than start a new thread, I'll add to this one.

I experienced the unexpected battery drain one weekend a few weeks ago. I diagnosed it down to the quiescent battery drain and duly removed fuse #64 until I could find and install the wire harness as detailed in TSB 162. Funny thing was, nothing was going funny with the blower motor.
That didn't fix the battery drain tho'

Then the blower motor started to run full power, no matter where the control was, or even if the engine was running.

So I sourced a replacement FSR from Ebay and fitted that 2 days ago.
That fixed the issue, I had blower motor control back. I left it over night, and no battery drain.

So as I am driving home from work today, the blower just cut out, stop working, nothing, no matter what I did.
So I checked fuse #64, that was fine (but I changed it for a new 50amp fuse anyway), I checked another fuse (I can't remember which one) that was fine too.
I checked the connection to the new FSR and that was ok. Eventually I fitted the old FSR back in and it went back to working with the blower running full power, but no control.

Was I just unlucky with a cheap a$$ copy that went bad, or could this be something more sinister?

·
Registered
80 Posts

i vote for faulty part- only one way to find out!

let us know the outcome after you fit a replacement.

G

·
0 Posts

gisham said:
i vote for faulty part- only one way to find out!

let us know the outcome after you fit a replacement.
I'm leaning that way too (it got stuck in customs when I ordered it, if that tells you where it originated from, and some of the cooling fins were bent). I'm waiting on a response from the seller. If they stitch me up, I will name and shame them.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

It really could just be a bad battery too... if the batter was old and sat around on a dealer lot for a while... some driving could have dislodged corrosion inside the battery and resulted in shorting out one or more cells. But the FSR is such a cheap part, if you still have an old style one in there, it might be worth trying that first if you can switch it yourself (5 - 10 min of work).

If you replace the battery I do not recommend the Interstate battery... I've had no end of trouble with them. Ever since I switched to the DieHard PM1 (identical to Odyssey PC2150) I have had no issues, and with all the reserve capacity I can use it while camping, etc to power various accessories for hours (including a 400W inverter, although I typically only draw about 85W continuously except for short periods where I may draw up to 250 - 300W) and it still starts the engine every time.

G

·
0 Posts

Battery is good, been tested on and off the vehicle and is still only a few years old. The old FSR is back in there and the blower is working (albeit stuck on full power)

G

·
0 Posts

Final update on my situation. After a lot of swearing and many threats, I finally got the ebay seller to replace the part with no additional expense from me (they wanted me to ship the part back at my cost and pay shipping again for the replacement part. I don't think so)

Got the replacement FSR in the post. Looked clean, no bent fins. Replaced it in 5 minutes (getting pretty handy with this now) and the blower was suddenly under my control again.

Been about a week now and I have not had to remove the fuse, nor have Ihad any battery drain and the blower is still under my control.
Definitely a faulty FSR. Goes to show people, just because it's new, doesn't mean it's good. :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts