RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

lurked a couple of times to find some info on this forum and thought it best time to join...

Im based in Amsterdam and have a weakness for buying projects unseen on eBay from around Europe.
Picked up a year or so ago is a 92 Vogue, with an Overfinch 460i motor.

I flew to the UK and picked the car up and drove it back to the Netherlands, sure enough the battery died on the ferry, so was at the front of the queue but last one off the boat.

closer inspection revealed the chassis number to be rusted off, so it has taken me nearly a year to get it registered here. had to do quite some research and chasing of previous owners to prove car was legit, especially as the engine code doesn't match the original papers (Overfinch engine vs original block.)

Due to the lack of paperwork and cheap purchase price in eBay I was doubtful of whether it really was an Overfinch engine but managed to track down a previous owner who gave me quite some history on the car, proving its originality.

I finally got it registered and put it in the garage yesterday to start stripping it and finding the horrors underneath!

Plans are to replace rather than repair any rusted panels and bring it as close to a new feeling as possible.

Engine will be removed and sent to JE Engineering in the UK for a rebuild also!

Some pics of the car and first pics of the start of strip down are below...

Cheers!

·
Registered
127 Posts
As these things go, looks pretty tidy, although I'd be interested to see the underneath. It's a great colour - I envy that.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha thanks. Looks pretty tidy from a distance but up close you can see it's had a crash at some point before, wonky panels, missing pin stripe. strangely rust free in some areas like wheel arch inside rear doors but really bad in other areas, like bulkhead....inside is really good condition, only the leather is super dry so needs some love.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man... the horrors! Started digging around the floor today... a floor has been out in at some point, the repair work around it is criminal!

Attachments

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
59 Posts
Looks way better than many other cars!

Does it also have the Overfinch secondary door seals? Any report on the driving feel of the (350hp I think) beast?

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am actually from Holland (Hello there fellow Dutchman!) and have owned many 70-80-90s cars in damp Northern Europe. I come to hate rot, but now living in warmer climates I come to hate what sun and heat does to cars. Looking at your pictures I envy your beautifully intact interior and exterior. I have been trying to get that rubber side strip with 'Range Rover' written on the side. No longer available and any junk car I find in Texas has the white lettering burned off. While all interiors and exteriors are ruined here, on the other hand there is no rot to speak of on most vehicles.

I am not sure what is least bad. Rot you can repair but cracked plastic and faded fabric is near impossible to trace down. Maybe next time I get to Holland/France/UK I need to find some Range Rover Junk yard and just strip all those goodies of.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks way better than many other cars!

Does it also have the Overfinch secondary door seals? Any report on the driving feel of the (350hp I think) beast?
ah thanks, looks can be deceiving though! quite a bit of rust to work through.

Only the engine is Overfinch unfortunately, the rest is standard RR. Pulls really well, and never feels slow.

bhp was 238 for the 460i, i think for over 300bhp you had to choose the 570i motor which was a GM motor, whereas the 460i was taken from the 2nd gen RR HSE, and given modified cam and ECU.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am actually from Holland (Hello there fellow Dutchman!) and have owned many 70-80-90s cars in damp Northern Europe. I come to hate rot, but now living in warmer climates I come to hate what sun and heat does to cars. Looking at your pictures I envy your beautifully intact interior and exterior. I have been trying to get that rubber side strip with 'Range Rover' written on the side. No longer available and any junk car I find in Texas has the white lettering burned off. While all interiors and exteriors are ruined here, on the other hand there is no rot to speak of on most vehicles.

I am not sure what is least bad. Rot you can repair but cracked plastic and faded fabric is near impossible to trace down. Maybe next time I get to Holland/France/UK I need to find some Range Rover Junk yard and just strip all those goodies of.
hello! I'm actually British but living in Netherlands.

If you are looking for those rubber strips, try here - ≥ Range Rover Classic rubber beschermstrips, etc. - Overige Auto-onderdelen - Marktplaats.nl

I have a '78 Datsun 280z from the US, great body, totally rust free, but yes the sun has cracked everything soft....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, hello all, been a bit busy to provide a further update but have found a few hours in the garage to continue with the stripping back process. Turns out the floor was pretty rotten, all round the edges and into the lower inner rear wings. rear cross member is rotten, fuel tank straps were rotten, I think 90% of the bolts I've tried to remove have snapped!

Ah well, the process is very cathartic, I'm enjoying the piles of rust that gather every day on the floor after an hour spent poking it....

Took some time to take a welding course as well so am armed with some base knowledge when it comes time to out it back together again!

Some photos of the continuing process below....

162E7835-8264-474E-912E-5D08D2EE60E4.JPG
FA5C8FD4-2DEE-40D0-A7A1-EB41B753BB0C.JPG
B885250E-47A7-4855-818F-CD9CD055EFF3.JPG
D34A52D6-A352-4407-929D-822A500224AE.JPG
B933C242-2FB0-4063-9223-6DF917937785.jpeg
0EB4D53A-B185-4C0B-BC8D-B990517C90DF.jpeg
00833E17-699B-4C0D-8C26-C78DFB0CCB26.jpeg

·
Registered
993 Posts
oh mijn god dat is een project uit de hel

·
Registered
1989 Range Rover Classic
214 Posts
Oooooo boy the tin worm has been busy there! Quite the undertaking, excited to see the progress!

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha Ha thanks guys! yes, a real example of Range Rover classic hidden horrors...looked great from the outside...always pull the carpets and look underneath!

I bought it very cheaply and for me the process of remaking it is really fun so I'm enjoying the size of the challenge and I'm not against the clock...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts