RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off hello to all

Now the help bit :-( I have a 1999 4.6 HSE that won,t start , the problem started 2 days ago when i returned home and found the indicator lights glowing so opened and closed it using the key fob and they went out . The next day i tried to start it and it turned over without starting , i ran the battery flat so had to charge it and recode the key . A friend of mine can over with his AA laptop and got the following codes P1667 and P1672 his laptop did not say what these codes meant . So can anyone point me in the right direction please
Regards Paul

·
Registered
640 Posts
I think you will find the are related to the engine immobiliser anti theft signal etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Col
Any idea on what i need to look for ie broken wire or could the becm and ecm have lost there sink ?
Regards Paul

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm new to the p38 but the relay box under the hood sounds lthe ike a culprit. probably water damage

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is possibly one of those quirky P38 things! :geek:
The BECM has an "EMS number" in its memory which can be altered and rewritten.
The Fuel Injection system ECU ...called the EMS, has a specifically labelled "EMS number" in its memory which is fixed.
Sometimes... including if the battery has been let run low... the EMS number in the BECM can become corrupted.
When you put the key in the ignition, the BECM compares its EMS# with the reference number stored in the EMS.

If the numbers are different, the BECM may allow the engine to turn over, but it will not activate the fuel pump...

Solution: The BECM memory has to be recoded with the correct EMS reference number.

To do this you need to be able to get inside the BECM and the EMS: either a Testbook or a Faultmate (a laptop add-on).... code readers won't help other than possibly identifying the issue..

You plug either Testbook or Faultmate into the OBDII port and read the number in the BECM on your laptop. Switch to the EMS page read the EMS number. Compare both numbers (usually 3 digit code) If they are different, write the EMS ECU number back into the BECM. shut the app. down and remove the OBDII plug. turn off the ignition and then restart the engine... hopefully it will fire up!

If you are going to get into the P38 seriously, you can't beat the Faultmate for cost effective ownership as single vehicle operator...

sorry for the loooong post....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hoges said:
This is possibly one of those quirky P38 things! :geek:
The BECM has an "EMS number" in its memory which can be altered and rewritten.
The Fuel Injection system ECU ...called the EMS, has a specifically labelled "EMS number" in its memory which is fixed.
Sometimes... including if the battery has been let run low... the EMS number in the BECM can become corrupted.
When you put the key in the ignition, the BECM compares its EMS# with the reference number stored in the EMS.

If the numbers are different, the BECM may allow the engine to turn over, but it will not activate the fuel pump...

Solution: The BECM memory has to be recoded with the correct EMS reference number.

To do this you need to be able to get inside the BECM and the EMS: either a Testbook or a Faultmate (a laptop add-on).... code readers won't help other than possibly identifying the issue..

You plug either Testbook or Faultmate into the OBDII port and read the number in the BECM on your laptop. Switch to the EMS page read the EMS number. Compare both numbers (usually 3 digit code) If they are different, write the EMS ECU number back into the BECM. shut the app. down and remove the OBDII plug. turn off the ignition and then restart the engine... hopefully it will fire up!

If you are going to get into the P38 seriously, you can't beat the Faultmate for cost effective ownership as single vehicle operator...

sorry for the loooong post....
Hoges many thanks for the reply , would the sync-mate do the job ?

·
Registered
922 Posts
would the sync-mate do the job ?
If the "no start" problem is as discussed, then the Sync-mate should do the job..
good luck... would be interested to read how you go with solving this

cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will hopefully pick a sync-mate up at the Peterborough show this weekend ,i ll let you know how it works out !!
Regards Paul

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well couldn't get one today at the show, so have ordered 1 online hopefully she'll be back on the road this week :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well sync-mate turned up in the post today . plugged it in let it sync and still won't start :crybaby2: I couldn't hear the fuel pump running so checked the relay for power , what i did note is there is no earth at No 85 ? is this switched from the becm ? HELP
Regards Paul

·
Registered
128 Posts
wkw90 said:
First off hello to all

Now the help bit :-( I have a 1999 4.6 HSE that won,t start , the problem started 2 days ago when i returned home and found the indicator lights glowing so opened and closed it using the key fob and they went out . The next day i tried to start it and it turned over without starting , i ran the battery flat so had to charge it and recode the key . A friend of mine can over with his AA laptop and got the following codes P1667 and P1672 his laptop did not say what these codes meant . So can anyone point me in the right direction please
Regards Paul
I would check all earth points as september is the start of the damp season, my 96 4.6 did this type of thing last year, pulled all earths apart, cleand and reconected. also unpluged all conectors I could find, checked they were clean too. Recharged battery and all has been well since, well on that front anyway :?

SID.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well today i have cleaned all earths unplugged all plugs and cleaned , still no go :( checked the output from the ECM pin No 18 to see if its switching to ground and its not , so bridged a wire from the battery to pin 85 on the fuel pump relay and the pump runs , still won't start . then checked pin 2 ,6 7, 8 on the ECM to check to see if its switching to ground for the coil packs and it is . Any ideas please
Regards Paul

·
Legacy Vendor
341 Posts
just going back to your original post... a quick google search for those codes reveals this post relating to a Disco 2... probably same/similar for the P38A
http://www.northwestoverlandsociety.org/Articles/tabid/226/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/59/Land-Rover-Discovery-II-Proprietary-OBDII-Codes.aspx

P1667
Engine anti-theft signal circuit low
Serial link short circuit to earth

P1672
Engine anti-theft signal circuit wrong code received
Secure ECM, received incorrect code

I'm thinking that you might have a system security issue that will require something more powerful than a Synch-Mate to resolve. Perhaps it is time to consider getting someone with a Testbook to hook up and read/clear the faults.

Best wishes
Paul.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Paul

As i was thinking of getting a Faultmate , is this something that i would be able to do with this ?
Regards Paul

1 - 20 of 22 Posts