Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Helicopter Noise while sunroof opened or one window slight opened @ low speed(35mph)

Hi guys:

I have a 2010 RR Sport SC, it gives helicopter kind of air noise when it gets to 30mph, my case at 35mph it gets worse (very noisy), when sunroof completely opened with no othe windows opened, or sunroof close and only one window slightly opened (3-4 inches) with no other windows opened, but it goes away when speed is above 50mph or get reduced to minimum if other window or windows crack opened, even by 2 inches or so to balance out the opened window. (hope I express myself well).

My dealer is telling me it is the unbalanced outside air pressure and inside air pressure poping your ear drums, it is a common thing... I just don't believe it. Today, I test drove a new Evoque and a 2011 full size RR, they did have this kind of noise, but 2013 RR Sport doesn't have it!!

Do your trucks do that? did you get it fixed? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
192 Posts
Re: Helicopter Noise while sunroof opened or one window slight opened @ low speed(35m

Every car I've ever owned with a sunroof has done that (except maybe my old X5). I think it's even in the manual. It's normal.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,833 Posts
Re: Helicopter Noise while sunroof opened or one window slight opened @ low speed(35m

Every Range Rover, Rolls, Bentley, Jag, Caddy and Chrysler I have ever owned has had a buffet speed at which it sounds like a Chinook chopper landing on the roof. You close the sunroof, fit a wind guard or deal with it.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
18 Posts

They even mention this in the owners manual, which I thought was neat. I love that book.

I concur, every car I've had for the last 15 years has had it. Before that I was in Wranglers, Commandos, G. Wagonneers, a Fairmont... Shoot, those all had other problems!

My '99.5 Jetta did it bad. We use to play with it, find the worst speed so it was completely intolerable and how long we could stand it. Ah, youth. It was like harmonizing in the shower... WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP....

·
Premium Member
2006 Range Rover Sport
1,240 Posts

Yup normal. Even cars without a sunroof are susceptible to this. My DD is a 2012 Golf TDi and it happens with certain combos of windows open.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
994 Posts

So very common. Some cars are worse than others.

I did notice that some manufacturers put that small popup plastic deflector on sunroof vehicles that is up when the sunroof is open. That helps but of course it depends on size of the opening.

If you crack both rear windows very slightly it is probably nonexistent.

Usually when my sunroof is open the drivers window is open anyway.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts

LR 3s were even worse. But, as noted, above (or supra if you are into Latin) the manual tells you to crack a rear window.

OBTW, Chinooks are a hell of lot louder.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2013 RS, 2017 FFRR
4,532 Posts

That's strange...with my sunroof open, it's perfectly fine...just normal wind noise, nothing unusual.

However, with just one or both rear windows opening, the buffetting is horrible and hits a frequency that kills my ears...

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts

Hey guys, I don't know if this is related or not, but once I was going across a train crossing (the ones with those flashing lights and the bars that require you to kinda swerve around them) and I heard a lound train horn followed by a train noise.

I can't recall if the sunroof was open at the time though.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts

Hey guys, I don't know if this is related or not, but once I was going across a train crossing (the ones with those flashing lights and the bars that require you to kinda swerve around them) and I heard a lound train horn followed by a train noise.

I can't recall if the sunroof was open at the time though.
Give me what you are smoking :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.