RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have any experience with a Yakima rack? Not so much concerned about the bars themselves, but the roof. Would be carrying a RTT and light offroading. Say 150ish pound total load.

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
I know personally that the Thule 600 series rack does just fine with much more weight. Are you sold on the Yakima LoadWarrior?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rrtoadhall said:
I know personally that the Thule 600 series rack does just fine with much more weight. Are you sold on the Yakima LoadWarrior?
No, I'm "sold" on the 78" bars and Q Towers that I've owned for years. Apparently, the only thing that I would have to buy are new clips. So it would be a relatively cheap. I've only seen the photo here, which is kind of small.

My only concern is this quote, from the Autohome page:

Off highway use: These tents are made to withstand a lot of abuse, but we highly recommend, when mounting a tent for using gutter mount rack systems for off-highway use, that you employ THREE or more cross bars. This helps to distribute the load evenly and avoid damage to the vehicle under extreme conditions.

Granted, we don't have rain gutters, so am just wondering if anyone had any experience with roof strength, particularly just inside the factory roof tracks. Like I said before, I'm not going to bounce around too much, so I think I'll be OK.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I've had well over 100 lbs on my roof traveling 80 miles an hour. As long as it's spread out you'll be fine.

DISCLAIMER: Don't crush your roof. I'm not a doctor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ that must do wonders for the old fuel economy.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing it won't be a problem. Or it will be a problem and:

a. I can just buy a new truck

b. Chop top the roof

c. Answers a and b

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Schnappi said:
^^^ that must do wonders for the old fuel economy.

Yeah, reducing 14mpg by 20% doesn't hurt as bad as reducing 30mpg by 20% (my other car).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts