RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy "clunk" in rear that even the dealer can't remedy

Long story short, my rig has been at the dealer for over a week to sort out a heavy clunk that happens after I hit small abrupt road bumps or those harsh little speed bumps...anything with a little drop off. Just after the vehicle rolls off a small drop off, immediately after the tires fall, a heavy clunk is heard as if something is falling and slamming into something else independently of each other. I think it sounds like the whole body slamming into the bump stops or the tailgate slamming into the body. I know it isn't the tailgate because it is much louder with the tire cover removed. We have also confirmed the battery to be secure. The dealer can't pinpoint it either. I am worried they will just give up and I will be stuck with it and I am 2K from warranty expiration. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: Heavy "clunk" in rear that even the dealer can't remedy

Have they checked the shock mounts? I had this happen on a previous BMW a couple times. One time a loose shock mount, the other time a busted shock mount.

·
Registered
127 Posts

The dealer can't pinpoint it either. I am worried they will just give up and I will be stuck with it and I am 2K from warranty expiration.
Ask your service advisor to note the issue in your service history/documentation so that if the issue reappears after your warranty expires then they can try to claim it as a pre-existing issue.

I had a small trim piece repaired on my Mercedes (it was a roof piece that kept popping out) where like you, it is very close to the end of the manufacturer's warranty. The SA said that they just properly reattached it and verified it was secure, but if it popped out again and within a reasonably close time then they would order a replacement even if my warranty expired.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Is your spare tire loose, jack loose?
Spare and jack are out of the vehicle. Basically anything that is loose (cargo cover, floor panel, etc) has been removed to help find the noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Have they checked the shock mounts? I had this happen on a previous BMW a couple times. One time a loose shock mount, the other time a busted shock mount.
I actually just had the right rear shock replaced under warranty for exactly this reason. Shock was moving in mount. I double checked this and the other one, assume dealer did as well since they are the ones that replaced the shock a month ago.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Ask your service advisor to note the issue in your service history/documentation so that if the issue reappears after your warranty expires then they can try to claim it as a pre-existing issue.

I had a small trim piece repaired on my Mercedes (it was a roof piece that kept popping out) where like you, it is very close to the end of the manufacturer's warranty. The SA said that they just properly reattached it and verified it was secure, but if it popped out again and within a reasonably close time then they would order a replacement even if my warranty expired.
I will absolutely do this...thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well I finally heard back from dealer. They think the sound is coming from the sunshade in the roof. I couldn't disagree more, but they have already ordered a new one so I may as well let them put it in. I am convince the sound is coming from below the vehicle. I hope I am wrong as sound has a funny way for traveling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Finally got the rig back from dealer. That said they fixed the clunk. Its worse than ever. I think they gave up. To be fair, I saw the detailed notes from the tech. He did everything he could think off including taking the whole lift gate off and driving it around. I will just take it to another dealer in town. I wonder if the notes are shared between dealers???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts