RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 RR 4.0 and it's leaking all of the coolant into the cab on the passenger side. I'm assuming my heating core is bad. I live in Arizona and I don't really need a heater at all. Is it possible to just connect the incoming and outgoing hoses and bypass the heating core ? I did this in an old Volvo V70 and it worked out fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Absolutely you can bypass the heater core. However I've been caught by more than a few nippy nights in the Tempe area. I sure wouldn;t be skipping it in Jan if you are out after dark.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
more than likely heater core O rings, I think of all the times I have seen concerns of coolant leak on passenger foot well only one was an actual defective heater core...see the sticky section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man. It does get a little nippy here in the dead of winter(aka middle of Oct. everywhere else) I just figured I'd get a little car space heater to plug into my cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've bypassed my heater core without much issue.

Without the heater core, the AC essentially runs at full strength all the time unless the compressor is turned off, so it can get chilly even in the middle of the summer.

Other than that, it's nice to have a dry interior and knowing that I won't have a leak inside any more.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
690 Posts
It's a half hour job to change the O-rings, if you want to do it properly. From memory they're 22mm by 1.5mm and you'll need a very long 1/4" drive extension to get the screw out of the clamp.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
Because the Audi job is a bodge? Oh well.....
OP, hook them together and leave it be if it suits you. I can have an Audi core in a LHD P38 in, in the same time it would take you to go to the store for a portable heater though, so consider that. Very cheap and no more o rings. Unless you want to "do it properly" of course.....:lol:

Martin

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
233 Posts
I think he meant 'properly' as in not just bypassing it... Unless I missed something.

Mine are now leaking slowly, so I'll be doing the Audi core conversion in this one too before winter. Sadly for us RHDees it isn't so simple... dash out to avoid hacking things up. Gives a chance to fix the blend motors and free up the flaps at the same time though.

Those little plug in heaters do somewhere in the region of naff all - 120-150 watts of power doesn't result in a lot of heat when trying to warm the inside of a car...

My diesel auxiliary/parking heater on my old Saab and current BMW on the other hand puts out 5KW, heating the block while also heating the interior (runs the blowers etc when the coolant temp starts rising). Started by remote control... is rather nice in winter.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
I think he meant 'properly' as in not just bypassing it... Unless I missed something.
If that is the case, my apologies.

Martin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for their input. I did the bypass with a U shaped piece of hose and in took fewer than 10 minutes start to finish and it has worked out fine. now if I can get the BeCM issues under control, I'll have a gem, but that's for another thread. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts