RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it’s starting to get cold again I noticed my heat only works when accelerating/revving the engine. If I’m parked in a lot cold air comes out but if i rev to around 2000rpms heat comes out. I had the heater core replaced a little under a year ago and I was surprised at how crappy the heat worked after having that replaced and maybe I have found why. Can anyone explain the reason behind this?

·
Super Moderator
2,222 Posts
Lack of flow through the heater matrix. You don't say where in the world you are but if you are running on LPG and have the reducer plumbed in parallel with the heater matrix using Tees, then the coolant is taking the path of least resistance. Re-plumb in series.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
771 Posts
What Richard says is good advice, when I repiped mine it can be a job depending on which side the reducer is , mine is LHS, I cut back the Alu pipe, used Alu elbows and re ran pipes. If your not running lpg then it needs to be bled again.
check that your front rad is getting hot to confirm flow from the pump.
make sure you have the correct coolant ( OATS ).

·
Registered
1999 P38 HSE 4.6 THOR
42 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be low on coolant. I had the water pump off when I did the timing set and oil pump so I lost most of the coolant. When I put it back together, there was an air lock in the system... once it burped, it took another couple litres of coolant and all was well again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Its definitely a lack of flow issue. Check coolant level, if that doesn't work get a new water pump. I had a similar problem and a new water pump solved it. Heat at idle now.

I know nothing about LPG conversions/heater hose rerouting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I put more coolant in because that seemed like the easiest option and now it seems like I have heat on idle hopefully that was the only problem. I’m in the southeast United States by the way

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Well, that was the simple fix.......
Now, to figure out where the missing coolant went?
Possible it was improperly filled by the folks who did the heater core, but keep an eye on the level as it could also be a leak..........

1 - 7 of 7 Posts