RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heater on my 1991 RRC has an awful rattle when the heater fan is at its highest setting (III). On the low (I) and medium (II) fan settings, the fan doesn’t blow at all. The medium setting used to squeal as it blew, but now it doesn’t blow at all. Is there a potential fix that doesn’t involve dash removal?

·
Registered
967 Posts
I would check the resistor for the heater blower motor it is located behind the intake vent on the passenger side on the firewall
That is the vents above the hood
If it is an original resistor pack it is most likely shot
This resistor controls the fan speeds
It may not solve the rattle
But it’s a good first step
You can find this on Atlantic British
Site
Look up resistor
It is gold in color

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced the resistor with the new Atlantic British part and it now blows on position II (medium) and III (high). It still doesn’t blow on position I and it still rattles. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
28 Posts
I have a 91 and had the motor rattle problem. It was the bearing failing in the blower motor. You will most likely have to replace it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have to agree the bearing
But now you have two speeds
And I’m sure the rattle is annoying
Mine rattles a bit
If your going to replace the motor
I’d wait til spring
Or just go with it

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
more than likely it is a defective fan, as suggested I would wait until spring as the whole dash must come out, while there I would renew the heater core. consider the age of the vehicle and existing components.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
175 Posts
Just went through this myself. Bought the entire kit through Atlantic British. It’s not that hard and there are plenty of resources to walk you through. Very doable over a weekend. Just take your time with getting the bottom middle part of the dash out, or get really good at using epoxy and super glue to put it back together.

Best of luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts