RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my heater fan apart, bearing seized on the end away from the fan, towards the left side of vehicle. if your's still spins freely, you have a chance of saving it and yourself from expensive time consuming repairs.

the heater fan in the dash, the one that sucks in fresh air through the grill on the decker is known to have the bearings seize up and then burn out. My fix for the problem is take the center tray out, 4 screws, which leaves you looking at the top of the heater box, where the fan is conveniently located. cut a 2 inch hole at the very right of the line the 2 halves join together. I did the left bearing from the outside, took the air filter things out of the decker and I could see the fan motor.
this hole was used to lubricate the fan side, though on disassembly it turned out not to be needed.

You are looking for the bearings on each end of the motor. It is a sleeve tpe bearing, no balls, just a brass sleeve on a shaft that rides on a layer of oil. Has a felt material around it that on motors in other applications need to be oiled regularly but rover left no provisions for that. I see rust on it, I believe that high speed driving in rain gets enough water on the motor to wash the oil out of the bearing. the shiney part of the shaft is where the fan is mounted.(removed to show motor end) The fan side is also where the brushes are, so DO NOT USE AEROSOL TYPE LUBRICANTS, IF ANY OIL GETS ON YOUR COMMUTATOR YOU WILL HAVE TO CHANGE THE MOTOR!! you wont be able to clean it off. trust me I know.
Just on the other side of the houseing, between the blue plastic and the fan's place, there is alittle felt washer, needs 3-4 drips of oil, NO MORE!! oil will creep past the bearing onto the commutator and you are in for a new fan. again, trust me, i deal with sleeve bearigs on a daily basis.

the other end, the one with the big green resistor and looks like the wires are coming out, you can get that side form through the decker. Also is way more forgiving. If you look in with a flashlight, you will be able to see it well, there is what looks to be a small opening, that is where the felt washer is. The felt will absorb the oil and apply it to the motor as needed. you can also stick a couple drops right on the shaft if you cant see the opening or the felt. I took the one poprivet out to get my oiler in closer, also ran the windshield wiper up half then turned off ignition to freeze it in place.

Best thing to use is a zoom spout oiler, like the one shown here, http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h ... N%26um%3D1 the tip will pull out for 6-8 inches for hard to reach areas.
The oil to use is non detergent 30W oil or machine oil. same thing. when done, use duct tape to cover the hole you cut in the heater box, works well.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, meant to say bronze sleeves. doesnt really matter though, still needs lubrication

1 - 4 of 4 Posts