RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, is it possible that a heater core leak would cause the driver side carpet wet instead of the passenger’s? It’s a North American model. The color is light orange but it doesn’t smell like coolant.I will pull the carpet out tomorrow, but would like to get an opinion on this first. The coolant level is all good as well. Thanks in advance. 05 rrs supercharged.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
WHen was the last time you cleaned out your A/C drains?

If the fluid doesn't smell like coolant and is not slick/oily then it's not coolant. If your A/C drains haven't been cleaned the condensation may be collecting in the heater box and spilling over to your carpet. The light orange colour could be something in the heater box rusting or just dust and filth that has collected in the "drain pan" at the bottom of the heater box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the speedy reply. I don’t think it has ever been performed. Could this be a do-it-yourself task, for I am not mechanically inclined? Thanks again. I have not used the AC in a while if it makes any difference.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
Your A/C runs when you are in AUTO setting or when you use defrost. Remember that A/C dries the air and keeps mold and mildew from forming. Cooling is actually just a side effect of the drying. You aren;t saving any noticeable amount of fuel by shutting off the A/C.

A/c drains require something firm but flexible to be shoved into the two rubber drains under the car. There is one on each side of the bell housing under the centre of the dash. THey look like two little cones hanging down. I use a hunk of network cable. DO NOT use wire hanger, screw drivers or the suck. you can puncture the drain hose or separate the drain from hose stub coming out of the heater box.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much again! Will try this first thing in the morning. One more question. Why would the leak be orange like dexcool?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts