RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2001 Range HSE and was sitting in the car and heard a noise behind my dash. Steam started to come through my vents and it smelled like anitfreeze. I walked around the car to see antifreeze pouring out my passenger side door. Could this be my heater core itself or the seals needing to be replaced? Is there a way to tell. Thanks

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Look at the ORing stickie above remove the duct and inspect the ORing joint. If it is the ORings it will shows signs of leaking. If it was the core it self you should have had most of the coolant draining out the heater box drains for the evaporator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well thank you for that. I believe it is the core itself then. because most of if not all of my coolant leaked out. I'm going to order the part online as I've found this to be the least expensive way to go. Do you know a way to replace the core with the least amount of labor involved? I'd hate to have to take the d ash off it it's not necessary.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I would make sure you know what is the problem before ordering replacement core. The o-rings are a pain in the butt and you may not want to use a stock core with o-rings. If you search, you will loads of posts on the topic including retrofitting an Audi core and bypassing the o-rings.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
343 Posts
I did the Audi heater core replacement in my truck and I life in Colorado. It was $85 in parts and 3 hours of labor. No dash removal needed. Just a dremel with a cutting wheel for the center console frame. My heater core itself was bad. No more o rings for me. Clean up the carpet in the passenger side carpet with Tuff Stuff carpet cleaner. I used that after I scrubbed the carpet with dish soap and warm water and rinsed with cold then shop vac up the liquid. I did it 6 times and air dryer for 3 days in the garage. The best part is no more o rings. Make sure you wash out and rinse your new heater core really well when you get it. I’ve heard stories of the coating in the inside not burning off and it makes your heat smell bad for about a month.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Hey braxton, for now just disconnect your heater hoses from the pipes under the hood, remove one entirely and loop the remaining hose down to the fitting for the hose you removed. This will allow you to refill your coolant and get you on the road until parts arrive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
In RAve it is item 21 looped to 22. I have the picture on my iPhone but I am attach it. Maybe somebody else can. Then like RRTH said refill and your fine until you can fix it later. Winter is awhile away.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,244 Posts
Do you know a way to replace the core with the least amount of labor involved? I'd hate to have to take the d ash off it it's not necessary.
Yep, use the search function. It's been well covered, along with the Audi swap myself and another member came up with.
We don't make write up posts for the fun of it, we make them to help others who like to help themselves

Martin

·
Registered
62 Posts
For a novice mechanic, takes roughly 4 hours. I had leaking o rings and did the late 90s Audi A6 heater core converison. The core was $40 brand new which was nice compared to the inherently flawed $200 LR heater core. Get some 5/8" heater hose and run it all the way to the connections in the engine bay. You do not have to drain the entire cooling system. All in all I lost less than a quart of coolant. Hardest part (for me) was refitting the glove box.

Once you stretch the dash out of the way, you need to hog out the core clot to fit the audi unit which is pretty easy as its just ABS.

Haven't had a problem with it since.

·
Registered
107 Posts
5/8”? That’s way too small diameter. The hoses on the engine side of the firewall is 22mm.

If you buy the correct Audi heater core you get connections that are 20mm. That way you can use 3/4” coolant hose with 22 to 19mm adapters.

This is a list of what I bought in February:
1. Nissens 70230 heater core 20mm.
2. 1m 3/4” (19mm) coolant hose. I cut it in half and then had to trim one of them another 30mm.
3. 2 pieces 19-22mm adapter. Found on eBay in nylon.
4. 6 hose clamps of suitable size.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You're right, they were 3/4" hoses

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for taking the time out to reply. I'm working on the issue now. Will let you know the resolve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts